PFD for Fishing Inflatable vs non-inflatable

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
1bigcatch
Apprentice
kayak: hobie revo

Re: PFD for Fishing Inflatable vs non-inflatable

Post by 1bigcatch »

I use a manual stormy pfd1 with the pockets and the pfd2 stays at home I would think that you getting knocked unconscious on a yak would have to be a hard thing to happen I think the biggest problem would be all the stuff we tie to the yak and getting our feet tied up in them and knot being able to swim :cry: and for you others that carry a pfd1 and 2 if the situation gets that bad that you want to change your pfd I think getting off the water would be the better option.that just a cents worth :)
As to the service of the pfd1 manual they do not have to be serviced by a technician its just a recommendation but I think that the canisters of co2 have a date on them and this determines wether they are in date or out of date.

Cheers Doug
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

1bigcatch wrote:I use a manual stormy pfd1 with the pockets and the pfd2 stays at home I would think that you getting knocked unconscious on a yak would have to be a hard thing to happen
What about if a boat (or Yacht) runs you over?
Good chance it would knock you out.
I would say this is my/our biggest concern, I have had way to many Aholes come within meters of me on the briney.
So for me its a big NO to manual inflates, I will deal with the extra bit of discomfort.

Just me 2 cents

Widsa
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

1bigcatch wrote:I use a manual stormy pfd1 with the pockets and the pfd2 stays at home I would think that you getting knocked unconscious on a yak would have to be a hard thing to happen I think the biggest problem would be all the stuff we tie to the yak and getting our feet tied up in them and knot being able to swim :cry: and for you others that carry a pfd1 and 2 if the situation gets that bad that you want to change your pfd I think getting off the water would be the better option.that just a cents worth :)
As to the service of the pfd1 manual they do not have to be serviced by a technician its just a recommendation but I think that the canisters of co2 have a date on them and this determines wether they are in date or out of date.

Cheers Doug
The NSW water cops HAVE been issuing fines for wearing PFD'S which haven't got the service stamp inside the flap up to date, but if you have the bulky pfd's (stinker types) on board, they are issuing warnings with no fine. This is mainly happening to stink boat owners, but with the growth of kayaking around the country its only a matter of time.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
nasman
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback & Wavedance Sierra

Post by nasman »

I just bought a Stolquist and although I haven't actually used it yet, I am already loving it. It feels quite comfy, holds a heap of gear which making it very practical and I feel I will be always protected. I don't generally fish real deep though. I have been wearing an inflatable up to know but always get worried about it not working when I really need it or accidently inflating it at the most inappropriate time.
Regards,
Nasman.
Outback Fisherman
><((((º>......><((((º>.....<º))))><.....<º))))><
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Well you can take it from me that you do not need a boat to get involved to be knocked semi unconscious by your kayak, about a 1 to 1.5 meter wave was enough for me when I capsized the AI. Because of this and other issues at the time, including lines/leashes/legs (3 x L's :lol:), hand caught in rudder etc etc, if I was wearing a manual inflate, I have no doubt I would have drowned. Lucky for me I was wearing both PFD type 2 and my drysuit as if I had not been wearing them I would have also been contending with hypothermia and exhaustion for all the exertion of energy trying to save myself + the energy being sucked out of me from cold water, and I spent a good 30 minutes in the water.
After reading about the encounter between the boat and kayak http://www.yakass.net/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=50 it also drives home just how vulnerable we are out there sitting so close to the water.

My opinion, No one should wear a manual inflate Type 1 PFD unless it is being worn over a foam filled PFD type 2 so it can inflate properly if needed, no good down some hatch somewhere because there is just to many other things going on and by time you actually open a hatch to get it out, if you know what you are doing and have practiced re-entry's, you could have easly righted and mounted your kayak in the same amount of time, if not less.
Auto inflates are fine but I have witnessed one go of from a heavy bow splash while on a boat, and you must leave it inflated until you reach dry land, or for that matter, until you have a new canister fitted ;) . Foam filled Type 1 or 2 for me.

Another thing that I get the feeling from reading this thread, how many of you actually practice deep water (where your feet won't touch the bottom) re-entry's. It could be just me, but the way some of these reply's sound, some of you guys have no idea if your PFD's are actually sufficient, if you have been practicing re-entry's then you should also have some idea as to how your PFD really works (whether it keeps you afloat, whether you can swim in it). I can understand to a degree, why people do not practice re-entry's in winter (well no I can't), but hey we are just coming out of summer and the water is still 14 degree's, NO EXCUSE unless you just bought your kayak. Even if you always travel with a buddy, you MUST be self sufficient and not have to rely on others because they may not be able to reach you in time to be of any assistance. Training and commonsense will save you before your PFD will in most cases, so get out/off your kayak, into the water and find out, practice your re-entry's. Talk about it with your buddy's, put a plan together, learn how to approach a stricken possibly panicked kayaker, learn how to assist them; right, drain if need be and re-mount their kayak. Its not just about the PFD.

As for the Stolquist Fisherman PFD's, as far as I have been able to find out, they are "NOT APPROVED" here in Australia, sure they are US approved and a trusted and proven PFD over there (would love one myself), but to my knowledge, you can be fined for using them on their own when on a kayak or boat where a PFD is required by Australian law.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

nasman

Post by nasman »

As for the Stolquist Fisherman PFD's, as far as I have been able to find out, they are "NOT APPROVED" here in Australia, sure they are US approved and a trusted and proven PFD over there (would love one myself), but to my knowledge, you can be fined for using them on their own when on a kayak or boat where a PFD is required by Australian law.
Agree with you Eddie on just about everything you said but as for the Stolquist not been approved in Vic Waters, I undersand that it is. I just checked again and the Marine Safety Website states ''The occupant must wear a specified PFD'. Specified been the key word. Kayak users can wear either PFD 1, 2 or 3 in Vic waters. Unless I am reading it all wrong, the Stolquist is specified as a PFD 3 so I understand it is covered. But as your story clearly shows, you can never be prepeared enough so I do still have my manual PFD for added security.
Regards,
Nasman.
Outback Fisherman
bilby
PHD in Yakology.

Post by bilby »

Hi,
The law actually states that all Pfd's must have a clearly marked approved rating ie AS 1512-1996 is the most common, but there are others that are legal, as far as could see the US coastal rating ISN'T legal in Australia, Canadian is. I would make sure your jacket has the AS1512-1996 rating before i bought it. You can view these regulations on the marine safety website.
Cheers Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
nasman

Post by nasman »

After a bit of searching, i found the actual rule book via NMSC. My apologies but it does appear the Stolquist is not technically recognised in Victoria. Because the US Coast Guard safety standard is not on the list. I still think it is a comfy, practical and safe jacket to wear. At least against some of my other recognised ones. Not giving it up easily. thanks guys.
Regards,
Nasman.
Outback Fisherman
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Yeah stolqhuist isn't a "legal" pfd2/3 in Australia for whatever reason it doesn't/hasn't been rated, which is the other reason I always have a pfd1 in the front hatch.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.

Post by bilby »

It amazes me how retailers can sell the jackets if they arent approved in Aus. Even the Hobie ones are in the same boat (so to speak) Just make sure you have the approved ones with you or mister fun stopper will have a field day.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460