Pickled Aust Salmon

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Pickled Aust Salmon

Post by cheaterparts »

well I think Salmon is better for bait than to eat but just to try something new I did a batch of pickled Salmon
and its not bad by the way
I only did a small batch to see how it would come out and will do it again for sure

so here how it goes I took about 8 fillets off 33 cm salmon deboned them skined them and cut them into bight sized bits ( about 1" squares )
them using about a cup of salt filled a 750 ml jar with a layer of fish and a layer of salt then poured white vinegar in till it covered the batch by and inch or so
gave it a shake to stir the salt and vinegar and put it in the fridge for 5 days giving the brew a shake each day to stir it up as the salt settles

I made up the finishing brine on the forth day and put in the fridge so it would be cold to assemble

that was
2 cups of white vinegar
1 1/2 cups off white suger
1/2 of white wine
2 teaspoons of mustard seeds
1 teaspoon of pepercorns
1 teaspoon of whole allspice
5 whole cloves
4 bayleaves
put in a pot and bough to the boil and simmered for 5 min , then cooled and refidgerated
this was more than enough to do a small batch

after the 5 days the first brine was drained off and the fish got a quick rince in cold water

the fish was then layed bach in the jar with a layer of onion - fish , onion and so on till the jar was full
and the second now cold brine was pored in
with the lid on moving the jar around to shake the air bubbles out of the mix
it was then left in the fridge for 3 more days

today I got to try my pickled salmon and I like it - for those that like pickled fish it's worth a go
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: Pickled Aust Salmon

Post by maverick »

Sounds great cheater, I will give it a go, just need to catch some fish first. :roll: Be interesting to try squid that way. :idea:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

maverick wrote:Sounds great cheater, I will give it a go, just need to catch some fish first. :roll: Be interesting to try squid that way. :idea:
dont know how squid would go - it might turn to rubber but of cause it's worth a try
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

Love pickled fish. Reminds me of the Rollmops my grandad used to make from Herring fillets. He had jars of them stacked around his shack. Thanks for the memories Cheater!

Cheers

Tim
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Haynsie wrote:Love pickled fish. Reminds me of the Rollmops my grandad used to make from Herring fillets. He had jars of them stacked around his shack. Thanks for the memories Cheater!

Cheers

Tim
I dont mind rollmops myself -

might have to look at doing some KGW or mullet rollmops
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

just finished a batch of silver trev done the same way as I did the salmon

My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

cheaterparts wrote:just finished a batch of silver trev done the same way as I did the salmon

just needs some chilli's in there to make it look even more awesome :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Ghurkin wrote:just needs some chilli's in there to make it look even more awesome :up:

some do use chilli others use sliced lemon .I will play around with the finishing brine and time goes on
it's a seams to be a bit like brewing beer, so many recipes to try
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Post by Drifta-X »

Doesn't sound that tempting,
But I'm willing to give it a taste test.
What doesn't kill u makes you stronger.
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

Drifta-X wrote:Doesn't sound that tempting,
But I'm willing to give it a taste test.
What doesn't kill u makes you stronger.

and chicks dig scars :up:

ps. cheater you could always do a special jar for drifta with some eyeballs in it :lol:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.