Fish scent/attractants - useful or not?

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
RayS
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA12

Fish scent/attractants - useful or not?

Post by RayS »

Ok, so because I'm always looking for reasons that I don't catch anything, I'm thinking maybe I should try attractants on my lures. I used scented zereks and squidgies so I'm wondering if my chances may improve with scents. Just wondering if you blokes and blokettes think they would/could help?
cheers Ray
0422 63 64 65
"It's 5 o'clock somewhere"
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: Fish scent/attractants - useful or not?

Post by Ghurkin »

I dont use them Ray but one thing i do know, when walking upwind into bunnings on a satdy morning i cant help but buy a snag as soon as i smell them and the onions lol, works on humans works on fish I guess.
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
RayS
Square eyes

Post by RayS »

:lol: yeah, I try to avoid bunnings, anaconda and any place that has the Saturday sausage sizzle happening for that very reason mate.
cheers Ray
0422 63 64 65
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

seriously though if your not catching fish you need to change what your doing, fish with others more often and do what they do, rig the same , try different things.
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
RayS
Square eyes

Post by RayS »

Yeah, I think that's a good plan mate. I really need to get out with guys and gals who actually have a clue. Sorry colchap and petergl, no offence intended.
cheers Ray
0422 63 64 65
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

The scent with the Squidgy Pro range definitely works. I have been fishing the VicBream Classic and while drifting a wall for 40-50meters without a touch I remembered I hadn't put any "S" Factor on the plastic, so on he next drift of the same wall (usually do the same area twice) I used the SF and caught 5 fish. We have noticed while fishing the one area that if the bites die off, apply more SF and they come back on.
I use it on hard body lures as well.
I used to use Gulp but are converting to other brands without the juice so I don't need to worry about them drying out.
Dizzy's scents are good too.
I had a guy said the scents were a waste of time and money, I said "well why do you use tuna oil, it's only a scent"......he couldn't answer me. :D
Same question at AKKF... http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29924
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Colchap
Apprentice
kayak: PA - 12 (Yella Terra)

Post by Colchap »

@ rays.... Grrrr
Ratbags
Apprentice
kayak: Fish bandit

Post by Ratbags »

Recently I had a trip with ol mate who did not use any scents & struggled all morning, I had been using the squidgy scent a regularly hooked, both n the same sp lures. Not sure that the scent was the only reason, I also think the way we both worked the lures also had a lot to do with it too. I think scents help sometimes when fish are shut down. Had heaps if trips with no scent on and still caught fish.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

RayS wrote:Ok, so because I'm always looking for reasons that I don't catch anything, I'm thinking maybe I should try attractants on my lures. I used scented zereks and squidgies so I'm wondering if my chances may improve with scents. Just wondering if you blokes and blokettes think they would/could help?
Do you berley up when you fish Ray? I have a bottle of scent in the tackle box and to be honest I think the last time I opened it was the day I forgot my berley. On that occasion found it didn't make up for the lack of berely and I had a quiet day. It could also just have been me imparting bad action on the plastic though! :oops:
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Post by Drifta-X »

Come to the next gummy hunt mick.
We could use your casting expertise, and u should also catch a fish there too.
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.