VHF Radios

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: VHF Radios

Post by Babylon »

No worries mate Cheers Jim :)
Sellz
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Adventure Island

Post by Sellz »

Hi guys,

Just wanting to know if anyone has come across the ICOM M34 on sale? Ch Smith only has the M35 in stock now :( (I missed the boat)!!
fishsmith
Square eyes
kayak: Pro Angler and Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12

Post by fishsmith »

spearfisher wrote:Gents,
Just a reminder that VHF is only line of sight. We all sit fairly low to the water, and hand held radios have small antenna's, this does effect the range of the unit. In my stink boat I regularly run both VHF and 27mhz. Your normal everyday stink boater does not run VHF. Most of them cant figure out how to use the 27mhx properly. Coast Guard do monitor both frequencies, and send weather reports on request. I would suggest if you are going on a long paddle out wide, it may be worth seeing if the VHF you have has an optional antenna that you can attach to your light pole??.
It is in your best interest to do the licence for VHF, THERE ARE PROCEEDURES THAT NEED TO BE FOLLOWED, the fact that you need a licence to use it is the main reason more people dont have them. This works in our favor as 27mhz is full of idiots that you have to fight for air time on a nice day.

ASK Fishsmith about VHF, by now he should be an expert!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Will
Thats right Will qualified Communications Instructor now. ;) ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
fishsmith
Square eyes
kayak: Pro Angler and Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12

Post by fishsmith »

spearfisher wrote:Gents,
Just a reminder that VHF is only line of sight. We all sit fairly low to the water, and hand held radios have small antenna's, this does effect the range of the unit. In my stink boat I regularly run both VHF and 27mhz. Your normal everyday stink boater does not run VHF. Most of them cant figure out how to use the 27mhx properly. Coast Guard do monitor both frequencies, and send weather reports on request. I would suggest if you are going on a long paddle out wide, it may be worth seeing if the VHF you have has an optional antenna that you can attach to your light pole??.
It is in your best interest to do the licence for VHF, THERE ARE PROCEEDURES THAT NEED TO BE FOLLOWED, the fact that you need a licence to use it is the main reason more people dont have them. This works in our favor as 27mhz is full of idiots that you have to fight for air time on a nice day.

ASK Fishsmith about VHF, by now he should be an expert!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Will
Thats right Will, qualified Communications Instructor now. ;) ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .