VHF Radios

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
wembas
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Feelfree Moken

Re: VHF Radios

Post by wembas »

CHSmith are in collingwood - which is a lot closer to my house than Rye is !!!! i could pick mine up.. or -

we could have a get together for a few beers and a counter meal somewhere ( low fat option for me of course - VYak Biggest Loser entrant ! )
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Im in, how ever we decide to do this.
A get together wouldnt be a bad idea, but I am happy which ever way we go.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

As babylon has pointed out to me, shipping is free if you spend over $400 and as he was going to buy 3 units for himself and mate's, it is easier for him to deal direct. Wisa, Bilby,macayak (Mtfisho-Angry if Mitch can talk Angry into it) and myself probably should do something together, maybe deliver to Bilby seen as he is in the middle of the four of us. Donkey said he was in no hurry, calls into the store from time to time and would probably get one later himself. fishophil would prefer one that floats and wasn't real interested, haven't heard back from either of them after the latest updates but pretty sure that's how they will go.
Unless others from the west put there hand up it would probably be easier and cost about the same by time he picked it up, for Wembas to go direct as well.

That about covers anyone that contacted me.
No reason why we still cannot meet, maybe we could all start from the shore somewhere and meet in the middle of the bay :lol: :oops: Mayday, Mayday :? just cause we can :mrgreen: :lol:

(Edit; missed macayak, sorry Geoff)
Last edited by ELM on 17 Jun 2010, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

And i would like thank Elm For his effort in trying get us a better deal
and the time and effort he has put in Thanks Champ..Cheers Jim :)
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

babylon wrote:And i would like thank Elm For his effort in trying get us a better deal
and the time and effort he has put in Thanks Champ..Cheers Jim :)
Ditto, thanks eddy your a champ!
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Hi guys,
I'm still keen on a Vhf (i have pm'd you Ed) but i have been thinking would it be a better option to get a 27meg hand held, as most small boats that we fish around would have one on board. Just thinking it would be a pain if the boat we can see 500mtr away hasn't got a VHF and we need help from the coastguard and they take 30mins or so. Just a thought, but either way i want something.
Cheers Bilby.
ED If you get the radio's delivered to your place, as my wife isn't home much during the day. I can pick up mine and Widsa's and drop his off in Frangers on my way home after work.
Bill 0409139460
DantheFishoMan
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by DantheFishoMan »

I know I'm a little late in race with this but the topic is one I'm interested in as I alway head out alone. Just had a quick look at Bias Boating and I'm after an opinion on this unit? Is it just a toy or would it do the job for PPB and WP??

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-1911-di ... radio.aspx

PS - I know nothing about VHF or UHF radios! LOL
Cheers Dan

"live it, breathe it, love it!"

Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

That's a good point you have raised there Bill.
I still think it's better to be in touch with the authorities through VHF.
Plus the bonus of weather reports.
Plus VHF will have longer range.( even though we are limited to hand helds)

I think we are better off going the VHF.
I looked up the course, we might get a better deal if we sit the test as a group.
I will make the booklet available for download if possible, or it's available on the website.(don't have the link handy)

Here is the numbers for the volunteer coast guard at mornington.
9598 7003
They will come to your aid through a phone call.
Handy Numbers to have in your phone!

Eddy let me know how to get payment to you mate if your happy to go ahead.

Cheers,
Widsa
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

UHF is more like a 2 way type deal.
Good for comunication between cars bushwalkers etc, but I'm pretty sure emergency services don't monitor the band??
UHF you may also get a lot of other people on a channel.
VHF you will get weather reports and dedicated emergency services(marine).
We are also going for something waterproof, I'm sure there are UHF handhelds that are.

Much better to carry something that could save yours or someone elses lives then save a few bucks IMHO.
But if all you want is an easy means of chat between yaks, UHF is cheap and will do the job.

As has been already said, you need a license to transmit over VHF.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Yeah good stuff Widsa, it was just a thought i had today at work (boring day), i reckon your right, we don't need a radio to talk to each other, more the thought of maybe saving a life in an emergency, i am keen to do the licence, if we go in a group, that would be cool too, be like the old school days eh.
Having the weather updated is a handy feature for us, if we are sitting out at the 20mt marks off Mornington and she blows up we need about 1-1.5 hr to get back in, some pre warning would be a good thing, although a thorough check should be done before going out that far really (for any newbies).
Anyway let me know how we are paying Ed and i'll be in touch.
Thanks again Eddy for your research and emails.
Cheers Bilby.
Bill 0409139460