Kayak Lighting

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Kayak Lighting

Post by Kingo »

hey guys just interested to see what sort of lighting everyone has on their yaks i havnt been out in the dark yet and am looking for abit of lighting inspiration. photos would be grouse
cheers darcy
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Re: Kayak Lighting

Post by madfishman »

Theres plenty of options around, Rhinos is the brightest ive seen, the MCG on the water.

I have a Stainless steel pole that slots into the mast hole of the Hobie and run the power on some 3mm cable holders to the battery. On the pole i have put a Fluro work light cable tied to the pole and it can face either out or in and is very bright , it also has a water proofish switch on the cable for easy use.
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

have a look @ haTTers post on the topic and also fishophil floating disco.............
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
tootsie
Apprentice
kayak: RTM KEY LARGO HI LUX

Post by tootsie »

This is my set up works a treat,takes 2 D size batteries can be seen a long way of
so i have been told.Cost $29.00 from whitworths marine.

Cheers..
tootsie
Apprentice

Post by tootsie »

Sorry here are the pics of the light set up.

Cheers
Attachments
100_0355.JPG
100_0356.JPG
100_0358.JPG
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Is that an LED globe or a standard in the light tootsie ??
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
tootsie
Apprentice

Post by tootsie »

This is a standard light globe and it is very bright so my other yak friends say
when we have been out before dawn.

Cheers
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

This is my DIY option that Maverick was talking about

Poised on the edge of sanity.
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

G,day Kingo

I have just set up the yak with lights and gave it a trial run last friday night ,to say I lit up like a beacon would be an understatement but that was my intent all along .The light at the back is one of those cheap boat lights that has fitting where the mast can be removed topside when not in use ,this light surprized me with how bright it shone out for such a small light ,I have a on off switch inside the hull for this light .The light sitting in the pvc pipe is a 12 volt car trouble lamp which came from auto pro for about 36 bucks and its claimed to be oil and water resisant so time will tell , when not used on the yak it should be handy for camping.I used the pvc pipe because I found that lying around the shed so there is probaly better alternatives,this light has 36 leds and I kid you not rigging and tieing knots is easier than day time fishing :shock:Another bonus with this light is it can be taken out of the pvc pipe and shone in any direction ,also onboard I carry a small waterproof torch that floats face up and the obligatory head lamp ,hope this helps

cheers cruiser
Attachments
side view of the lights
side view of the lights
this is the batt set up for the led light that sits in the crate ,a fuse was added for just in cases
this is the batt set up for the led light that sits in the crate ,a fuse was added for just in cases
Taken last friday night ,the stripes on the pvc pipe is reflective tape
Taken last friday night ,the stripes on the pvc pipe is reflective tape
mob 0423 492 759
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Post by madfishman »

cruiser wrote:G,day Kingo

I have just set up the yak with lights and gave it a trial run last friday night ,to say I lit up like a beacon would be an understatement but that was my intent all along .The light at the back is one of those cheap boat lights that has fitting where the mast can be removed topside when not in use ,this light surprized me with how bright it shone out for such a small light ,I have a on off switch inside the hull for this light .The light sitting in the pvc pipe is a 12 volt car trouble lamp which came from auto pro for about 36 bucks and its claimed to be oil and water resisant so time will tell , when not used on the yak it should be handy for camping.I used the pvc pipe because I found that lying around the shed so there is probaly better alternatives,this light has 36 leds and I kid you not rigging and tieing knots is easier than day time fishing :shock:Another bonus with this light is it can be taken out of the pvc pipe and shone in any direction ,also onboard I carry a small waterproof torch that floats face up and the obligatory head lamp ,hope this helps

cheers cruiser

Where did you get that reflective tape?
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au