Eco Ambush

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
TrinaC
kayak: Eco Ambush

Eco Ambush

Post by TrinaC »

First yak for me but so far a beauty.
This yak is extremely stable and has handled everything that has been thrown at it so far with ease (a decent boat wash, chop & swell). It tracks straight with the help of the rudder and is effortless to paddle and glides beautifully. I can paddle this thing all day with the most important extra being the upgraded seat I paid a little extra for but it gives you fantastic lumbar support for all day fishing. :D
The only criticism I have is the severe lack of accessible storage :down: . There is a puny compartment between your legs that is hard to open/close (it has a twist top) and you can't fit much in there at all. I've coped by buying a PFD with pockets and by perfecting the travelling light side of things with a waist bait bucket etc. There is tonnes of storage space in the front under the deck but you have to go to land to get access to it. Equally the rear storage under the bungee fits a full sized bucket.
That said - I love this yak.. it paddles beautifully and is very comfortable - and the best thing it was brand new from BCF under $1k where others were starting at $1400 plus. Its light enough I can throw it on top of the 4WD in seconds. I did have the K-Rack Loaders but they wouldn't work on the canopy rear screen so I returned them. I can actually do without them now just using a folded towel.
Thoroughly recommend this as a first yak for those who don't want to spend huge dollars and for me I didn't have to drive 4.5 hrs to Melb to get it (only 1 hr away to Warrnambool)
Attachments
kayak 019.jpg
kayak 003.jpg
kayak 003.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 8605 times
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Re: Eco Ambush

Post by Jenko »

Hi Petrina,
Nice yak, you can always put a milk crate in the rear compartment to carry extra gear or one of the orange yak bags from BCF.
I presume you got yours from there in Warrnabubble.
Whats the fishing like up there at the moment, we used to fish up there off the breakwall for some good size snapper and in amongst the jettys for whiting and squid.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
TrinaC

Post by TrinaC »

Hi Gary
Not much to speak of as yet size wise.. Sea-wise I've only been in and around Portland harbour / Lee Breakwater and the whiting grounds off Nun's beach.. Lately flat out catching anything from pinkies, sand flathead and gurnard all around 1kg - nothing big yet... I'm always busy in the yak baiting, casting, pulling in and constantly amused that whilst I'm so busy - boaties are anchored next to or nearby and sitting there twiddling their thumbs. Being on the drift allows you to present the bait in a much more natural way and the fish seem to love it.
I'm told the Yellowtail off Wally's boat ramp at Allestree are fantastic.. and they're not far away now.. 10-15kg fish are common apparently
Fitzroy River is good for bream around 800g - 1kg as is Yambuk but it tends to get very crowded.. I plan to paddle Port Fairy / Killarney over New Years to see what's around there
Hope to catch up and learn more from good folk like yourself.. Ever down this way make sure you say g'day...
Petrina
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Nice yak Petrina. i brought a kingfisher recently from another member who had similar issues with the round hatch. What she did was screw a cupboard handle to the top of the hatch which makes it much easier to twist open. You can also attach your rod leash to the handle when not using the hatch if required.

Good luck with the fishing.
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I had a similar storage problem on my Ocean Kayak Scrambler.

If you flick through the first 3 pages of remarks from others on the following link, there are some pics of my Ocean Kayak with a 2 drawer storage unit which also held my depth sounder display and the transducer arm. Made accessing gear easy and it didn't affect the paddle stroke. It held to fairly large plastic tackle trays.

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 4&start=30

Hope it helps.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
kww511
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015, Jackson Kilroy

Post by kww511 »

Hi Petrina. Only had my yak a short time and have been looking at plenty of of ways to manage the items that I need to access readily. I really am a minimalist when it comes to camping, fishing and now kayaking. So most things go into the pockets in the vest. Everything else I need is nearby attached by a tether. (mostly those curly corded ones). I don't want stuff floating off if I flip it. But I did think that there is a lot of space up front that I could use if I needed too. I just bought one of those dry bags. Tied a string to it that allowed it to be pushed up front underneath and hook the other end up to a convenient spot close to me. When I need it while I'm on the water I just pull it up by he string then push it back along with my feet when I'm finished with it.
Just need to set it up for easy release to avoid any tangles if you do flip.
Cheers Kev
Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit...wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad!
Deefa
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie TI & 3.6m paddle yak

Post by Deefa »

Hi Petrina,
I have an ebay version of the same kayak: http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13630
In general I like it - easy to paddle, turns well with or without rudder, easy enough to load. Caught a few good fish on it so far.
I have a crate & bucket, and sometimes use both together in the back.

I agree the accessible storage options are limited. I have yet try moving forward a little, and spinning around to use the rear hatch. No chance of me opening the front rubber hatch while on the water - my 90kg would sink the boat in no time.
The kayaks low freeboard means any sort of chop comes in over the front when you are paddling into it, however this low freeboard makes it easy to reenter.

I hope you keep enjoying it.

ps. that seat looks a little better that the back rest mine came with... :)
Bugglz
The force is strong in this one

Post by Bugglz »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but for any Eco Ambush owners, are you able to tell me the dimensions of the female threaded bit on the mounting panel in the centre of the yak? (Yes, I'm hopeless with technical terms :-p )
Deefa
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie TI & 3.6m paddle yak

Post by Deefa »

Bugglz wrote:Sorry to bump an old thread, but for any Eco Ambush owners, are you able to tell me the dimensions of the female threaded bit on the mounting panel in the centre of the yak? (Yes, I'm hopeless with technical terms :-p )
Do you mean the thread size, the bolt spacing or the size of the rectagular area that is where a rod holder can be fitted?
Bugglz
The force is strong in this one

Post by Bugglz »

Deefa wrote:
Bugglz wrote:Sorry to bump an old thread, but for any Eco Ambush owners, are you able to tell me the dimensions of the female threaded bit on the mounting panel in the centre of the yak? (Yes, I'm hopeless with technical terms :-p )
Do you mean the thread size, the bolt spacing or the size of the rectagular area that is where a rod holder can be fitted?
The thread size, i.e. What size bolt would fit into it?