OH BOY !!! Lessons to be learnt from this video

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: OH BOY !!!

Post by Babylon »

I am just dumbfounded :shock:
manonaquest

Post by manonaquest »

im with you ghurkin....i reckon dazzas tongue would be purple from biting it so hard
manonaquest

Post by manonaquest »

maybe the victorian government should make people do a kayak safety course before there allowed to purchase one....at least that way friggin idiots like these two cant say i dont think i need a pfd or whatever....it would mean extra expense to everyone but it would idiot proof the sport a little more
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

explorer wrote:maybe the victorian government should make people do a kayak safety course before there allowed to purchase one....at least that way friggin idiots like these two cant say i dont think i need a pfd or whatever....it would mean extra expense to everyone but it would idiot proof the sport a little more
If people in the world had a little bit of common sense the sport wouldn't need to be idiot proofed, we live in enough of a nanny state as it is
Graybalz85
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA (Sponge Bob)

Post by Graybalz85 »

Kingo wrote:
explorer wrote:maybe the victorian government should make people do a kayak safety course before there allowed to purchase one....at least that way friggin idiots like these two cant say i dont think i need a pfd or whatever....it would mean extra expense to everyone but it would idiot proof the sport a little more
If people in the world had a little bit of common sense the sport wouldn't need to be idiot proofed, we live in enough of a nanny state as it is
There is no suck thing as common sense these days
Yak PB: Leatherjacket 35.5cm, elephant fish 69.5cm, salmon 44cm, Whiting 38cm, squid (30cm Hood), Gummy 104cm, Flathead 34cm, Travelly 40cm, Pinkie 36cm
pogmahon
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Currently Yakless. Ex PA12, PA14 and TI.

Post by pogmahon »

Ghurkin wrote:Thanks for taking the time to video and post this Rhino, this needs to be seen, I also think you showe remarkable "restraint" in your words when speaking to the spatchcocks :lol:
"What he said!"
'No thanks, I've already got a penguin.'
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

It's been raised before, but where does it end? A safety course for surfers? Paddleboards? Pool noodles? The pollies would be laughed out of town. You can't expect the government to protect idiots from themselves and I doubt that any kind of course is going to stop clowns from doing stupid things (like filling up their yak with water for ballast). The most they will ever do is a safety brochure that will be mandatory with every purchase and some kind of awareness campaign.

Besides, where would Funniest home videos be without idiotic people doing stupid sh!t. You'll be in the running for a new home entertainment system if you submit that footage Rhino.

Cheers

Tim
Nosrem
Apprentice
kayak: PA 12

Post by Nosrem »

Looks like I should have hung around a bit longer this morning Rhino, looks like it just got worse, do we know if they are still with us??
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

cheaterparts wrote:
viperdevil wrote:Jesus Christ can't believe it, I reckon they must a been under the influence of alcohol.....it takes special talent to tip yak under half a foot of water :lol:
as least you were wearing a PFD when you fell in at Mulwala in about that much water
:evilgrin: Saw yakgear do it at Mt Martha too.
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

Ghurkin wrote:Thanks for taking the time to video and post this Rhino, this needs to be seen, I also think you showe remarkable "restraint" in your words when speaking to the spatchcocks :lol:
Thanks Steve.

I had given up telling people about this stuff while down the beach. Sometimes they look at me like I have two heads and there have been a couple of tense situations. I tend not too worry about them so much any more, even though I know that their actions may one day lead to more regulation coming down on me and the rest of us. But that may not worry me so much anyway because I, like most here, already do all the right things.

But this guy engaged me in conversation, so I educated him a bit. HIs mate was just as bad. He was the reason I started filming in the first place.

It doesn't matter what brand kayak it was. I heard a certain kayak dealer once say that "the kayaks are more capable than their operators". And he was right. Somebody like Bretty would have had no trouble standing up in these kayaks.
You can't help people who think it a good idea to fill their hull with water for ballast and more stability.
Truth be known, the weight of that guy probably already exceeded the safe load capacity of that yak anyway. It certainly wouldn't have been a yak that I would have recommended him.
I don't know whether anybody picked up when he said that he was given a booklet when he bought the yak, and that he hadn't read it yet. Everything he needed to know may well have been written within that booklet.
Last edited by Rhino on 20 Oct 2012, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.