pa 12

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
snapperboy
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback red

pa 12

Post by snapperboy »

well who has already got theres and what do you think of it??
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Re: pa 12

Post by Bozzie »

Don't do that to me. Got my hopes up to read something sensable about the new 12, only to find it's a fishing excercise.
Will have to read all the replies now! :lol:
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

Brendandrage
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14 and Tandem Island

Post by Brendandrage »

Bozzie wrote:Don't do that to me. Got my hopes up to read something sensable about the new 12, only to find it's a fishing excercise.

This post is just for bevan :wave1:
Brendan 0408412056
Snapper, whiting, flathead, squid, gummy shark, barracoota, salmon, murray cod, yellow belly, bass, pike, leather jacket, bream, school shark
pogmahon
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Currently Yakless. Ex PA12, PA14 and TI.

Post by pogmahon »

Love it! Love it more when i catch some bloody fish LOL

Graeme
'No thanks, I've already got a penguin.'
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Bozzie »

Brendandrage wrote:
Bozzie wrote:Don't do that to me. Got my hopes up to read something sensable about the new 12, only to find it's a fishing excercise.

This post is just for bevan :wave1:
Bugga, made me read it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Donkey
Square eyes
kayak: PA12 - The Appendage

Post by Donkey »

snapperboy wrote:well who has already got theres and what do you think of it??
Yes and I think it is very nice. :D
EEeee-ooorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Donkey
Square eyes

Post by Donkey »

Ok, with the help of a few turkeys here's my view so far...blame the turkeys for any spelling mistakes or rambling..

So I picked up my PA12 from lovig the day they arrived about 2 weeks ago and so far I've had it out from ricketts once and patto 3 times. All in calm conditions with a bit of a breeze once at patto. Before I got the PA12 I had an outback for about 3 years and I've fished out of a PA14 about 9-10 times including last years ABT grad final so I'm only basing my comparisons on that. It seems to sit higher in the water and the shorter hull and flat sides means it really likes to spin in the wind. Although the steering isn't as responsive as an outback with sailing rudder it is a lot better than the 14 which I found quite sluggish. You can feel the yak move as soon as you turn the rudder but I still need to give a few solid kicks to get it moveing . At first it seemed to have a mind of its own when wind and current are up but I'm starting to get used to it. Although it takes a few peddles to respond when stationary the turning and manouverability when moving is very impressive. When moving at a steady pace I can quickly turn the rudder and do a complete 180 on a dime which the outback and 14 could never do!

The sounder fittings are really good too. It's pretty fiddly at times but better than drilling in the hull. I'm already thinking about using the other plugs for fitting some deck lights too.

Obviously heavier than an outback but also a lot lighter than the PA14. The rear scuppers seem closer to the middle of the yak so their closer to the center of gravity making it much easier to move around and a second set of scuppers are almost dead center and it almost balances. Using a similar system as I did to load the outback on my holden Wagon the weight of the PA12 is no problem.

And the seat. It's all they claim. Simply Awesome! It does seem a bit fiddly with all the cables but it is easy to use and adjust and I'll be interested to see how it lasts over time. Rediculously comfortable and easy to attach and remove. Worth the extra coin just for the seat.

Heaps of other things I could go into but I'd be here for ever but if there is anything you want to know I'll see if I can answer it. But I'm totally stoked with it!
EEeee-ooorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

Very good report Donkey.
I saw a bloke at Patto tonight in what seemed to be a PA12.
Wasn't you was it mate.
Donkey
Square eyes

Post by Donkey »

Thanks Gozz.

May very well have been. There from about 3:30 to 7pm..
EEeee-ooorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Bozzie »

Thanks for that Scott,
A very good review. From what I've been reading here and overseas, the 14 with the new seat would be near enough to perfect for an old, fat bastard like me.