PFD recommendation

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
deano
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA

PFD recommendation

Post by deano »

Hey guys,
Need to buy a PFD in the next week or so. I'm looking for something that provides a mixture of good safety and comfort for fishing. I'll be in a Hobie Outback, and am concerned an inflated PFD will be uncomfortable on the back of the seat and when flicking lures around. However I also want to be safe and responsible too. There lies the dilemma, that many of you have probably dealt with.

Can anyone recommend a specific PFD to check out? Any price range is applicable.
Thanks in advance.
nasman
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback & Wavedance Sierra

Re: PFD recommendation

Post by nasman »

Use the search function in the top right hand corner. Enter 'PFD'' and you will find several discussions on this subject. I personally use and like the Stolquist which is technically not legal in Victoria but I also carry an inflatable in the hatch.
Regards,
Nasman.
Outback Fisherman
><((((º>......><((((º>.....<º))))><.....<º))))><
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

My opinion, inflatable pfd's are not suitable to be worn on a kayak and first hand experience has justified the reason, now that said, a lot will disagree and do use them. Probably the best inflatable I have seen yet is a type 1 and was designed specifically for kayaks, it is the Hobie Outdoorsman Inflatable PFD, Yakass (Josh) did a bit of a review here; http://yakabout.com.au/home/content/view/1298/101/ , the vest is made by Stormy for Hobie Aust, they have other vests here; http://www.stormyaustralia.com/. Another mob I have seen and don't look bad but never tried https://pfdsales.com.au/

I prefer a foam flotation pfd type 2, may not have the flotation of a type 1 but will assist far better if struck in the head (note does not have a colar (type1) to support your head) as it is already buoyant, It won't be as comfortable but is certainly bearable and wearable. Stholquist have a great range including the "Fisherman" it's a great looking pfd with loads of storage but as Nasman pointed out, not approved for Australian standards. Not that it won't pass, just has not been put up to be tested by Stholquist and a damn shame, would have had one years ago if they were.

Two I like are the Ultra Trek and Ultra Pinnacle (eyeing this one off myself) view here; http://acwsports.com.au/pfd.htm .
Cannot remember the brand I am currently using, it does ok but has no decent storage pockets. Look for something that will at least hold a knife, whistle, VHF (handheld) and PLB also handy if it will hold pliers and some basic first aid stuff, I also carry some water dye to make my position more visible if separated from my kayak.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

deano
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by deano »

Thanks heaps guys.
Thanks ELM, Very informative and helpful safety info for a newbie. I'll try find a store that stocks those Ultra brand ones so I can try one on and see if it's comfortable enough.
Cheers.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

hey dean i recently bought an ultra trek pfd and use it on my outback. its really comfortable and non restrictive plus has a couple pockets on the front which are really good one pocket is designed for an epirb or similar device and the other is fairly large (big enough for camera). it also has a pocket on the back which can hold a camelback drink bladder.
cheers
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

Post by SurfanFish »

I have a couple of Ultra Treks as well and happy with them. From memory bought at NolimitsSports in Carrum (no affiliation).
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
deano
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by deano »

Thanks Kingo and SurfanFish,
exactly the info I was after. Looks like those Ultra Trek ones are the way to go. Reasonably priced also.
Thanks again guys
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Ultra Trek on sale here http://www.ausseakayak.com.au/index.php ... 62&pid=154
I've never dealt with them thou & don't know what the postage would be, shouldn't be too much.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
deano
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by deano »

Thanks mate, appreciate it.
Looks like they only have a few sizes on sale so i might head down to that place in carrum to see what size fits best.
Cheers
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Hey deano,
Try Scott lovigs range of stuff, he might have a few suggestions. Scottys address is 7 Bailey place, Mornington.
I use a PFD 1 manual inflate (i use these on the stinker) but some guys don't like them, personal preference i guess.
Anyway mate get the trailer and vest sorted and get the old girl out on the water, it will get withdrawals if you don't dunk it regularly.
Hope to see you out there soon mate.
Bilby
Bill 0409139460