Night light on Yak

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
squid ink
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2010

Night light on Yak

Post by squid ink »

Hi all,

Does it need to be red? Where do you get them from?

Any help would be appreciated. 8-)
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Re: Night light on Yak

Post by Jenko »

Night lights for stationary fishing have to be white and visible from 360 degrees, if you do a search you will find different lights members have used.
cheers Gary
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

According to the regulations kayaks and canoe's only have to carry a torch as a warning light at night, that said, if that is all you use when on the water at night, you deserve to get hit and probably will.

Boats however have to have a white light that is visible from 360 degree's + a port (red) and starboard (green) clearance light. While most of the guys have good white lighting very few worry about the colored lights as they are a waste of time on a narrow kayak. A good way to remember what color light goes on what side; Ask yourself, Is there any port left? Port is red and the light goes on the left hand side,also a ship pulls up to a port on the left hand side.
If you are going to be on the water with boats etc, its a good idea to learn the regulations that boats have to abide by, will help you at least understand what side they are supposed to pass on etc.

Anyway getting back to your light, it's important to make yourself seen so spends some $$$ and get a decent light and get one that is waterproof, a light is no good to you if you capsize at night and it shits itself from a dunking and you get hit returning to shore with no light. If you make one, make sure it is waterproofed well.
Hatters made a great LED light and you should find it if you use the search function, if you don't want to make one and are happy to buy one, I recommend the Tektite Mark III 4 LED, waterproof to 50 meters (I scuba dive with mine), bright, burning time of around 50 hrs on three AA batteries, about $ 65.00. Hobie also have a light that is attached to a flag on a fiberglass rod, not bad either from what I have been told. What ever you get, get it up high so it can be seen and if you can, mount it behind yourself, they are a pain to look at when burning in front of you also they cast a little light for tying lures etc.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Rangirocks
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Rangirocks »

BCF have 6" fluoro lightsticks for $4 Green or red. I tie one to my white light and it's much clearer to see