Hobie outback 12.1ft vs. revolution 11ft?

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
crunk
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback 2012 Golden Papaya

Re: Hobie outback 12.1ft vs. revolution 11ft?

Post by crunk »

Thanks for the replies everyone. They've been very helpful and has given me a lot to think about.

Secondhand isn't an option. I've definitely decided on an outback and I'm getting a price tomorrow from the store and hoping they can do me a very decent deal. Seeming I'm ordering lot's of lures/tackle online!
moirae
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Revo "Fishless"

Post by moirae »

I pushed pretty hard for a better deal.

What I found was that you will get no movement on the actual yak etc...but there is some room to move on all the extras. Extras that I really, really did not want to buy. I ended up spending just under $3k...which is top, dollar for an unmolested kayak.

My experience from a buyer point of view was not exactly brilliant. I couldnt help but feel as though I was bending over or getting bent over somewhat. From all reports the after sales service is exceptional though, so you gotta bear that in mind.

Plus, the product is freakin brilliant. Really, really impressive.

Dont discount the benefits of doing most of the mods yourself however. Gotta be an advantage to knowing how everything is installed and how it all works. Just my opinion.
envoy
Apprentice
kayak: 2012 hobie Pro Angler

Post by envoy »

crunk wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. They've been very helpful and has given me a lot to think about.

Secondhand isn't an option. I've definitely decided on an outback and I'm getting a price tomorrow from the store and hoping they can do me a very decent deal. Seeming I'm ordering lot's of lures/tackle online!
Hi Crunk,
i bought my outback just before Xmas 2011 from Outdoors and Beyond in Wagga. They ended up delivering the yak to me and with the options I chose, it was approx $400 cheaper :up: than the best quote from any of the Vic dealers. The guys up there were awesome to deal with. The biggest advantage to buying local is that you have someone to go to in case of any problems.

Regards,
Chriss
crunk

Post by crunk »

I ended up changing my mind about where to get the kayak from. I decided the most local would be better if I wanted it overlooked etc. Given that I was purchasing quite a few things I was asking for a deal. I would say that I was looked after quite well. Saved just over $456 total. It was a very busy day for me and I arrived home at about 4:30, to then launch not long after once all of my gear was there and my friend was waiting.

It wasn't smooth sailing initially I wasn't sure if the mirage was in properly so was paddling out till I got deeper but was just being pushed sideways because I wasn't focusing. But got it all in the end.

First cast using those powerbait 3" minow pumpkin seed. I let it sink to the bottom and then was doing a few other things before jigging it up. I jigged it up and let it sink down like a squid jig I suppose. Next time I did that I felt this big weight behind it. And quickly deduced "argh crap, I'm snagged". I assumed I was drifting left to right so I thought that although it seemed like I could move it left to right that it was maybe a misconception haha. I was able to reel this dead weight about 1-2 metres form the surface where I could now see the colour. It was long! and I thought oh god it's going to be something horrible like a toadie or what ever. Then it kicked and actually pulled quite hard(had quite loose drag on). It was definitely not a toadie haha. Saw it on the surface and almost forgot to get my net. A nice flathead. My first! Pulled it up and realised I had been in such a rush that I forgot to bring my knife so I just left it in my net as cruel as it was. It was big. Well big to me.

Yelled over to my friend "It's a flathead!", his reply "How big is it". Well it was measured on the yaks when we came side by side and it was 42cm. I was stoked because my friend said it was such an achievement. I was more so stoked I had landed a flathead, let alone on my first cast. I can now say I'm a true fisherman after not catching one ever until now!

Chucked some more of those sp's out and then my friend said he felt bites. I felt one nibble and struck it. It was a small one as featured. The next cast I felt another bite and struck again, this one felt big and was pulling line. So I definitely played it out. Halfway through I realised it wasn't a 1kg+ monster so I played it out a bit more for fun haha. Then when I even wanted to take control it actually dived really hard and it felt awesome and sounded great too. Measured 30cm. So nothing all that fancy as per big pinkies go. But it fought really well and was a great way to start my first day on the yak!

Realised when we were coming in that my rudder wasn't in the lock part so it was free moving the whole time and I wondered why I was so terrible speed wise and steering. I was literally rally driving the kayak. It was all in good fun though haha and a nice facepalm worthy story.

Just wanted to thank everyone for this thread and their input. It has all happened now and I absolutely loved it. The conditons were ideal and it was very comfortable. My wheels behind my chair were THE BEST arm rests. It wasn't even planned that way either haha!

Special thanks to my friend Stuart he helped me out so much and was so patient and deep down I know it hurt a lot for him haha. He said the flattie fillets were great!
Attachments
kPhoto 31-03-12 6 17 51 PM.jpg
kPhoto 31-03-12 6 17 42 PM.jpg
kPhoto 30-03-12 5 17 40 PM.jpg
Photo 30-03-12 9 40 05 PM.jpg
Photo 30-03-12 7 22 49 PM.jpg
fisho79
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: stinker

Post by fisho79 »

Congrats crunk, you won't look back. From here on just please read all the safety threads on this forum and practice re-entries while the water is still warm. I can only imagine how quickly your energy will be sucked out of you if you fall in in the middle of winter in 10 degree water! And trust me, the fishing in the middle of winter is seriously hot, but make sure you are skilled in getting back in quickly ... from there you'll have an absolute ball!
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know exactly how you feel, especially the first time out and the first fish you get :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: But was surprise you were out on the water today, consider the wind is horrible !
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
crunk

Post by crunk »

Sorry it was yesterday!!!!!!!!! My bad!

I definitely will do a entry-reentry over the next few weeks and by all means read the safety info! I've already read quite a bit of it!
moirae
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Revo "Fishless"

Post by moirae »

Tis a nice boat.

Watching you catch fish all Sunday morning...you're gonna have some fun in that boat.