Whats your favourite snapper recipe/prep for the table?

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: Whats your favourite snapper recipe/prep for the table?

Post by maverick »

Rub them down with a little bit of oil, slice around the edges where the fins meet the flesh (makes it easier to eat) a generous rubbing of garlic salt then stuff the gut cavity with foil and sit the Snapper vertically in the BBQ. Close the lid and cook for about 45 mins for bigger fish, 30 mins for smaller.
dinner R.jpg
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
CaptMorgs
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: "Golden Papaya" Revo

Post by CaptMorgs »

Nice one mav. that looks the business!
Cheers

Morgs
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

Have to agree on the whole Snapper thing, nearly always disappointing. They take flavour well and my preferred method is to fillet and cut into portions to do one of the following..

1) Seasoned with salt, pepper and olive oil, pan fried until skin is crispy and served with chunky chips and mash/salad.

2) Dress with an Asian style combo of Sesame Oil, chilli, soy, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, Coriander and a squeeze of lime, wrapped in foil parcels and into the oven. Serve with rice and pan-fried Asian greens.

3) Cut into "fish bite" portions, beer battered or into a salt and pepper mix and deep fried in peanut oil in the wok. Great with chips and salad.

4) Moroccan fish stew. My wife did this last year and it was bloody beautiful.

5) It's great as Sushimi also. We often eat some dipped in soy when I'm filleting.

Cheers

Tim
squid ink
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2010

Post by squid ink »

I done these tonight and was pretty impressed with the results....

Thai-style fish cakes

Cooking Time 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
• 500g firm white fish fillets coarsely chopped
• 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
• 35g (1/4 cup) cornflour
• 2 tbsp fish sauce
• 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
• 1 egg, lightly whisked
• 5 spring onions finely chopped
• 50g green beans, finely chopped
• 1 or 2 fresh hot red chillies to taste - finely chopped
• 80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
• Lime wedges, to serve
• 1 teaspoon of Kaffir lime leaves
• 2 teaspoons of Thai Red curry paste
• Sweet chilli sauce, extra, to serve
• Self raising flour
Method
1. Place the fish in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Add the coriander, cornflour, fish sauce, sweet chilli sauce, Thai Red curry paste, Kaffir lime leaves and the beaten egg, and process until well combined.
2. Transfer the fish mixture to a large bowl. Add the spring onions, chopped chilli and beans and stir until well combined. Add self-raising flour to a plate and create fishcakes. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Place 4 egg rings in the pan. Divide the fish mixture into 8 equal portions. Press 1 portion into each egg ring. Cook for 4 minutes each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with the remaining fish mixture, reheating the pan between batches.
3. Divide the fish cakes and salad among serving plates. Serve with lime wedges and extra sweet chilli sauce.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Hi, as stated Calamari will get tough if over cooked, as it's a muscle you either cook it quick ( 30-40sec) or as Cheater pointed out very slow cooked and they will always be tender, I don't use the kiwi / milk / marinade stuff to tenderize it, just learn how to cook it.
As for snapper, I've found the best way is to firstly, despatch them quick,keep them cool, scale and gut them. I then put a few scores in the flesh and rub a little olive oil, cracked pepper and salt, rub this into the fish inside and out, crank up the barby on a high heat, put the snapper on the hot plate and sear it like cooking a steak.
The skin goes all crispy and the flesh stays moist.
Whilst they are really good this way, give me a flatty, whiting, gummy, leather jacket, any day.
Bilby
Bill 0409139460
Prangler
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by Prangler »

My favorite way to do Snapper is to fillet, bone and skin the suckers, then if they are larger fish portion the fillets up into smaller sized pieces. Then i crumb them using panko crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs from the asian isle at the supermarket) fresh ground black pepper and parmesan cheese. I also add about a teaspoon of crushed garlic to the egg wash that"s used to dip the fillets in after the flour. Double crumbing is awesome as well to give it a nice thick crispy coating, after you flour the fillets, and egg wash them, dip them in the crumb mix, shake off excess crumbs, then egg wash and crumb again. This with a salad, and beverage of choice (I recommend beer!) is a big hit at my place during snapper season.... :king: :thumbsup: :bananaman:
"If the fish are biting, i'll be home late...If they aren't biting, I'll be home late!"