Cooking eel?

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
vaporboy
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: malibu mini x

Cooking eel?

Post by vaporboy »

Hey I know a bloke that always wants an eel to cook wen we camp, he told me to cut head off and wrap it all in foil and cook in coles, apparently the bones dissolve like sardines. I was wonderin if that's the go or is there a Berta way ? Cheers
pigs jigs
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Re: Cooking eel?

Post by herbie »

Cooked in foil would be ok I guess but if you have a camp oven then clean the eel by dipping eel in hot water and scraping slime off with knife. Gut it and wash clean again then slice into sections that will fit in the oven on their ends.

Sprinkle with a little salt and brown sugar. Then cover with some sliced tomato and onions and roast til cooked in the coals.

Eel bones are fine but I don't ever remember them dissolving.

Yum yum.

Btw the best thing to do is smoke them but I doubt you take a smoker camping.

Cheers

Herb
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Best thing to do with eel is cut it up and use it to catch a big Gummy Shark :thumbsup: tastes much better
vaporboy
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: malibu mini x

Post by vaporboy »

Sorry I meant like sorta brittling up not dissolve , I'll try that out next time, and if I catch an eel and use it for bait I can't be %100 sure I'd be eating that nite :D
pigs jigs
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

he told me to cut head off and wrap it all in foil and cook in coles
I would have thought cooking it in safeway would be better :lol:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

GoneFishn wrote:Best thing to do with eel is cut it up and use it to catch a big Gummy Shark :thumbsup: tastes much better
hear hear

The few times I've tried eel it just tasted like mud, even after letting them swim in fresh clean water overnight. Much rather a gummy. mmmmmmmmm
Smoked eel I'd imagine would be nicer.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

My old man used to skin them, chop the head off, cut the eel up into pieces about 40mm long, boil for about 5mins until nearly cooked through, then fry them in butter until golden. Let them cool and eat them. They were very nice done this way.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I've had them boiled, sectioned, crumbed and shallow fried....tasted like sh*t!

Got plenty of shortfin eels in my dam if you want some. I catch them occasionally and introduce them to Mr. Blocksplitter!

Just put the trout and the yellas back if you catch them!

Dig
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Jem Southwind (built)

Post by Tormentor »

bilby wrote:My old man used to skin them, chop the head off, cut the eel up into pieces about 40mm long, boil for about 5mins until nearly cooked through, then fry them in butter until golden. Let them cool and eat them. They were very nice done this way.
I don't bother with the boiling step, but what freaked me out was a fresh eel will try to swim off after it's head has been cut off and you take it to the stream to clean and skin...
Digger wrote:I've had them boiled, sectioned, crumbed and shallow fried....tasted like sh*t!

Got plenty of shortfin eels in my dam if you want some. I catch them occasionally and introduce them to Mr. Blocksplitter!
I've only ever caught/eaten them from clear fresh Welsh streams and they tasted yummy...

Caught using a 4 foot stick with line tied to the top and a hook on the other end Huckleberry Finn style.
neilmny
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outfitter 2010 (Yum Yum)

Post by neilmny »

Cook them the same way as you do a wild duck......throw them in a pot with a large stone and cook for may hours until the stone is tender....throw away the eel and eat the stone! :shock: