rolled my yak

Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Re: rolled my yak

Post by Drifta-X »

Well telstra came through for me with my "insurance"
Brand new iPhone 4 with heap for extra stuff in the package.
Win for me
Who has a heated pool I can practice rolling my yak and remounting.
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Drifta-X wrote: Who has a heated pool I can practice rolling my yak and remounting.
If what you are wearing out on the yak now, are not up to training in the bay, are they up to going out fishing in :?:
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Drifta-X
Yak Master

Post by Drifta-X »

I don't want to wear a wet suit as I would not feel comfortable. And anything else when wet will be cold as he'll anyway.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Drifta-X wrote:I don't want to wear a wet suit as I would not feel comfortable. And anything else when wet will be cold as he'll anyway.
If you are not dressed to survive an extended immersion, then you should not be out there on a kayak.
Best way to find that out, is to test your gear by practising and then see if you can last without getting to cold/hypothermic. If you are unable to train because you are getting cold, then what you are wearing is not going to protect you if you take a dunking, specially if you have trouble remounting.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Drifta-X wrote:I don't want to wear a wet suit as I would not feel comfortable. And anything else when wet will be cold as he'll anyway.
I dont fish with out my wetty and its very comfortable the suit is warm even after a dunking and yes there are prob better ie dry suits
but a custom kayak wetty (to fit my short fat body )was around $ 200 new
a 3 mm should be ok for an extended immersion down to waters at 10 deg just like of winter bay temps
ELM wrote: If you are not dressed to survive an extended immersion, then you should not be out there on a kayak.
Best way to find that out, is to test your gear by practising and then see if you can last without getting to cold/hypothermic. If you are unable to train because you are getting cold, then what you are wearing is not going to protect you if you take a dunking, specially if you have trouble remounting.
kingfisher111 wrote:Good report Cheater, and thanks for a top night on the water. Have fished the area for quite a few years but had never seen an upside down Kingfisher anchored nearby. :shock: Conditions were pretty average and had me covered in all my spare layers by around 6.00pm. Cheater, still sporting a Tee shirt under his steamer feels no cold!
after my unplaned swim kingfisher thought it was me that didn't feel the cold but in fact the wet suit was quite warm and it wasn't till 7.30 or later that I need to put some sleeves on we still fished till 11- 11.30 that night

I also now use the wet suit for surf fishing as well I feel safer than wearing waders on the beach
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Drifta-X
Yak Master

Post by Drifta-X »

So what's the go price wise for both a wetsuit or drysuit
BKA
Square eyes
kayak: Malibu Pro Explorer

Post by BKA »

G'day,
Glad to hear you're ok and you've got your phone replaced.
These types of incidents can only make you more prepared and ready for next time.
With the mobile, I keep mine in an OverBoard Pouch attached to my PFD.
It's waterproof, floats, and is clear on both sides so you can take photos, videos etc.
It also allows you to use all the usual functions such as swiping, talking etc.
One of my best investments (although not cheap at around $35) as my mobile also has GPS, a torch application, compass, etc. Prefer to have it attached to me rather than sitting in a dry bag in the yak.
Anyhow, take it easy.
Cheers.
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Bayside Kayak Angler wrote:G'day,
Glad to hear you're ok and you've got your phone replaced.
These types of incidents can only make you more prepared and ready for next time.
With the mobile, I keep mine in an OverBoard Pouch attached to my PFD.
It's waterproof, floats, and is clear on both sides so you can take photos, videos etc.
It also allows you to use all the usual functions such as swiping, talking etc.
One of my best investments (although not cheap at around $35) as my mobile also has GPS, a torch application, compass, etc. Prefer to have it attached to me rather than sitting in a dry bag in the yak.
Anyhow, take it easy.
Cheers.
X2 with the OverBoard Pouch. I mentioned this to Drifta on another forum, the one thing you must do with these type of pouch is test the integrity. Trap some air in the pouch do it all up properly and submerge it into a bucket. I found a small hole in mine (2 years old) but was able to successfully repair it with a bit of silicon :up: