Stiffy minnows

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
davelow
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA 12

Re: Stiffy minnows

Post by davelow »

Hi just thought i'd share my 2cents of experience with these lures

Stiffy minnows in silver color have been my go to lure for trout fishing. Trolled them at 3.0-3.4 kph. about 15-20M behind the yak on a 8lb fluro leader. Redfin love them too. Fish them at Fyans and Jubilee

Lake jubilee session 2010
photo (7).JPG
Lake fyans 2011
photo (6).JPG
Havent had much success with them in saltwater yet. Mayb need to work them a little slower for bream.
davelow
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA 12

Post by davelow »

p/s: thats the dogs hand in the 2nd pic not mine :)
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

davelow wrote:p/s: thats the dogs hand in the 2nd pic not mine :)
I thought maybe its the full moon and your really a wherewolf Dave :eh: thanks for the claification, dam nice fish by the way. :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
loboloco
Lord of the fish
kayak: single sit on top

Post by loboloco »

Hey I have recently started using them and have made significant progress. I now find the lure to be very versatile and I like it a lot.

To get them to swim I remove the splitring on the tow point and tie a loop knot. However, the quality and consistency of these lures is below average and rarely will I get one that swims straight! So I also have to adjust the tow point with some pliers. Once I have got it swimming straight I have been fishing them differently for different locations. if in snaggly territory I will use a very violent retrieve making the lure dart in all different directions as i slowly wind it in pausing the lure to let it rise over submerged branches if necessary. Otherwise I just twitch it a couple of times between long pauses.

I am still learning how to use this lure but I can see that it has awesome potential!

Cheers
Loboloco
MitchT
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by MitchT »

Hey Lobs,

Stiffys are good even if they magically disappear half way through your retrieve!
hahahaa
loboloco
Lord of the fish
kayak: single sit on top

Post by loboloco »

lol yeah there are some unknown creatures that devour them instantly! never to be seen again!

Cheers
Loboloco