Marine VHF Radio Operators Handbook

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
BKA
Square eyes
kayak: Malibu Pro Explorer

Marine VHF Radio Operators Handbook

Post by BKA »

G'day,
I'm thinking about getting a VHF radio in case of an emergency.
As I won't be using it for any transmissions except for an emergency then, under the Radiocommunications Act 1992, I don't require a Marine Radio Operator's VHF Certificate of Proficiency . (In maritime distress you can use any means at your disposal to attract attention, make known your position, and obtain help.)
However, it's good to know VHF etiquette and as the free download of the Marine VHF Radio Operators Handbook has been extended until 30th June (usually $14 or obtained via a course etc.), I've downloaded a copy and had a read. Took just over half an hour to read. Also did the 145 online test questions and scored over 90%.
Oh, bugger it, I may as well get my certificate. Can do it online and only costs around $56 or so and then you have the certificate for life. Should be able to easily answer the required 18 correct answers from 25 multiple choice questions to obtain the 70% pass mark.
Anyhow, if any one else is interested in downloading the handbook and/or having a go at the test questions, go to:
http://www.amc.edu.au/handbook
Now for the hard part - deciding which VHF radio to get. If I end up deciding not to get the certificate, I just go for a standard $50 unit like the waterproof handheld Eagle EHR-10. If I do decide to get the certificate then I'll go for one with more bells and whistles.
Cheers.
Bayside Kayak Angler
Sandringham Anglers' Club
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Re: Marine VHF Radio Operators Handbook

Post by Bozzie »

thanks for that, downloading it now.
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

Kybosh
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Outback yellow

Re: Marine VHF Radio Operators Handbook

Post by Kybosh »

I've got a pair of UHFs (not waterproof) and I've been thinking about getting a waterproof VHF marine band. How many yackers use radios on PPB? How useful are they? The safety factor is my main concern. And thanks for the post, BKA.
John
Insanity is just a state of mind. Man! is my mind in a state!
Imagehttp://www.southernflyfishers.org.au/