AI Try Out Peninsula

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
Bono
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Outback and Adventure Island

AI Try Out Peninsula

Post by Bono »

Hi Guys,

Posted the same heading in the fishing trip area the other day and just wanted to get back to those who replied.

Went out for the maiden run on Saturday early afternoon. Weather was pleasant and the wind was tailor made for my first venture. About 10kn that at times went to nothing and then at other times gusted up a bit to really fill the sail and make me hoot with joy. They feel like they really move when you get some wind onto them. Had a gps and measured myself at 11kph so i know it wasn't earth shattering but it still felt fun. KInd of like a go cart, your so close to the water it feels faster than it actually is. Trolled a lure at the back for a little while but catching a fish wasn't that high on the agenda for a change.

Some Observations
Its a wet ride. Build up some speed and the water comes in. Was sitting in a puddle for a while. Had the neoprean shorts and rashie top but think i might invest in some decent sail gear one day, especially a top that has a velcro waist. Dry bags essential.

It is a heavy bugger of a thing when transporting to the water. Using roof racks and needed a hand lifting it up and off.

It is stable. You can get up and walk around if you wish. Wouldn't dare take a leak on the Outback but this one is entirely different.

I am not a sailor's a/hole and have a lot to learn about wind power and sailing in general (anyone know a good book). Thankfully the AI furling/unfurling syystem is great for those like myself who are complete beginners. It really was simple.

The speed was fun and just floating around at a slow clip was aslo enjoyable. You defintely feel like you can go further out and make a real trip of it. (how far are others going out on them)

"congrats on the new rig Andrew, youre gunna love it!
unfortunatley im off the water for a week or two with a stuffed toe :down: but i'd be keen for a sail with a few other AI drivers..... perhaps its time for a gathering of the fleet?"
Fishing Musician.

I love it already and would love to tag along when you are back on the water. Would love to see how others go about it.

"Hey Andrew,
Did you happen to buy one of the ex-demo A.I./s from Scott Lovig?I'm still waiting for one to appear on eBay that's not a thousand Kms away!
Mike."

Hi Mike. Yes it was a Lovig Ex demo model. It was your review that actually made me buy it. Wanted an AI originally but picked up a second hand Outback 6 months ago. Wasn't going to be content until i had an AI. Now i have both. Expensive little hobby but glad i did it. Not spending abother cent for a while now.

ELm, thanks for that response. You are a wealth of info. I launched at Rye, Shirlow Avenue, near the yacht club and think i will be launching/sailing from Sorrento down towards Safety beach for the time being while i get used to it. Great idea about the paddle as a rudder trick. Will definitley try that and will defintely take you up on your offer if i have any questions. I am in Rye so pretty close by.

Thanks guys.
The Fishin' Musician
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Blatmobile

Re: AI Try Out Peninsula

Post by The Fishin' Musician »

glad she lived up to expetations Aandrew, its fun when that sail fills huh ;)

yep, its a heavy beast off the water. i uesd to dead lift mine onto the roof. No More!
i use an extendable tent pole, slid into my roofracks(theyre hollow) & the extendable bit stuck into the ground, similar to a rack&roll.
"There is nothing like starting the day with a dose of gastro & a morning in a shed full of whippets" Anon moe bloke.
cybertrouts
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback & Tandem Island

Post by cybertrouts »

Hey Andrew,

That's all great!

I have an Outback and a TI and they both get a few runs depending on the day and the weather.

TI makes me the happiest :D
Knowledge is what you get when you read the instructions.
Experience is what you get when you don't.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Glad it all went well Bonooch and you enjoyed your first real sail. Not sure about books, but I did get some nice advise from some of the sailing clubs, always worth a visit during their sailing seasons or if you can get to know some of them off season. Sailing is a real passion and most of the experienced sailors I have met, are happy to pass on some advise.

The small ramp at Tyrone is probably the best/easiest launch site and also the beach launch at Blairgowrie is also very easy but best only for 4x4 and if roof topped, need to check tree clearance.

I used to enjoy trips out to the whiting grounds at the Rye Light, trolling along the channel from the Hovel pile and trips to South Channel Fort, get comfortable first before venturing to far, and also practise capsize and re-entry. You can still have a lot of fun trolling the beaches and Rye Channel for some extra depth and toothies well gummy toothies at least :lol: .

Enjoy mate.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie