Sail , Vesion 2 test movie

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Re: Sail , Vesion 2 test movie

Post by cruiser »

Looking good Peter and by the looks of things it shoundt take to long to set up so that gets you out there quicker and more fishing time :evilgrin:

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

Funny you should say about setting up.
One of the things i try to take into account is set up time, ease of set up and the extra gear you have to carry which effects set up time.
With the new mount supports ive made for it it takes less time than trying to tension more lines in the hope they will stay taught and less tangles as well. I wanted to test it but yesterday the wind was to strong for my liking.
swit
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Espri, Kingfisher

Post by swit »

Yep, definitely with you there Peter...reduced time to setup is the key. If it takes too long or is too fiddly, you end up giving it away. And I think we (and lots of others out there in internet land) are making it easier for anyone to have a go and set up a sail. I can definitely see a regatta in the not too distant future.

GF...Like the idea of calling the beast The Black Pearl. Now where did I put that skull and crossbones stencil? :-)

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum!
Last edited by swit on 24 Feb 2011, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Post by paddlepop »

You all seem to be going great guns on the sail front. Been keeping a watchful eye.

I have a heaps of photos I need to process and upload - have made an outrigger but found the RAM mount next to useless as it slips a lot. Have cut up a windurfer sail. Am in the process of making my mast mount using the windurfer mast foot which is flexible and will allow the mast to fold down on deck. I'm going on the principle that the side stays seeem to be an issue so im making mine semi rigid out of ally bar. The front stay will be rigid tube so acts as a rear stay too and the whole works on the principle of the mast foot sliding forward to release tension and allow the mast to fold down. the theory works ok but it will be interesting to see how it works under load. At present the mast is 1.8m of surf rod and the reel foot mount is being used as point of attachment for stays. I reckon the sail area is possibly too big and will adjust after a test run hopefully in a week or so. I'll probably try somewhere like Lillydale lake as its often breezy but little wave action.

I'll work on getting the photos up soon....

really like the idea of a sailing get together sometime (assuming mine will actually sail!)

keep up the good work. :thumbsup:
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
paddlepop
Square eyes

Post by paddlepop »

11.30 pm

soooo excited I had to post something...I'm in the middle of a eureka moment - spent the evening making a mast foot traveller and then setting the whole shabang up and seeing if one line will raise and drop the mast. YEP...works a bl@@dy treat ..I'm absolutely rapt - looks like its going to be a goer! :ugeek:

sorry guys ...without photos and a story to go with them this is really the rants of a disturbed and manic kayaker ! But hey - I've cracked something i didnt think possible and may even be worth producing a few for others... these mad ravings will all become clear once I get some footage up !

on a more sane note ...where are you guys doing your testing..open water or local lakes ?
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

Its great to hear that you are going along well with it. I think at some stage we all get the "cracked the riddle" moment and thind pan out along the line we want them.

Ive done my testing in the bay so far.
swit
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Espri, Kingfisher

Post by swit »

Paddlepop, well done on the Eureka! moment...but just don't go running down the street naked, as you tend to get put away for that :-) You've piqued my curiosity...I'm keen to see the photos.

My one and only test run was today (finally!) and it was done just off Sandringham Yacht Club. All seemed to go well, except for the lack of wind. Never thought I'd complain about lack of wind when taking the yak out! Max speed downwind was around 4.0 - 4-5 km/h...wind speed was roughly around 8 km/h. Didn't notice any real problems, so I'm happy.
paddlepop
Square eyes

Post by paddlepop »

Hi swit,

glad to hear the test run went OK. I reckon the good thing about adding a sail is may increase the opp to get out on the water generally. I usually hang around the Ricketts area so once I'm up and running we'll have arrange a sail yak meet ....meantime I reckon I'm a week away from even a test. Spent another $80 at Bunnings and have decided to finally go with stainless wire stays which are secured on a cross-beam that puts them 6" or so further out from the yak hull. The real winner is the sliding mast foot and the rigid forestay which acts as back stay too. I hope to be able to put the unit on with 4 bolts with butterfly nuts and use 2 lines plus the main sheet. Of course the big advantage I have over you scratch builders is that i found a windsurfer sail & mount which does take a fair bit of work out of the equation...... so big cudos to you, peterj and GF for starting with nothing :clap: :clap:

Im going to have an attack on it sat a.m then heading off with ghurkin and a few other for a WP critter hunt. Fish = No1 priority at the moment !...and as soon as I get a chance I WILL post up pictures..as i said b4 ...its all a bit lame without the pics! :roll:
Enjoy the w/end - catch either fish or wind !