Stingrays and Kayaks

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Stingrays and Kayaks

Post by Mordy »

Stumbled upon The NSW seakayakers site, they have a great Mag with heaps of information.
Since there has been quite a bit of stingray stuff around thought I would add this.
Information and safety
http://www.nswseakayaker.asn.au/magazin ... ingray.htm

and anter guys experience of getting slashed
Sting Ray Stung Stu
http://www.nswseakayaker.asn.au/magazin ... ingray.htm
His calls for help and the response of a local fisherman are quite funny worth a read.

Will definately revisit found some good stuff on sail making and stuffff :D
Tony
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Re: Stingrays and Kayaks

Post by paddlepop »

made for a good read ..... guys in a league of his own - paddling 30km the second time in the week.... more of a Bear Grylls character....... i would probably sit abd cry and wait for dopey fisherman to come see why a grown mans crying !!

I have snorkelled at Portsea many times and always see quite laref rays. Recently in about 4m of water the ground(seabed) went black and I realised that a huge ray was swimming directl under me - i reckoned its span was 6' and total length close to 8' . It moved with such power I was half expecting to hear a deep mechanical hum like some sort of nuc powered sub...

me ...i deceide to haed as far away from it as possible whilst my buddy who did not see it swam over and headed off after it !
People ask about safety and I tell them I wear a divers knife - they say that wont do much againts a shark or big ray..... to which I reply ....

its not for defence ...I simply stab my buddy and swim away quickly :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Re: Stingrays and Kayaks

Post by Mordy »

I like the part in the second article
I tried not to get exert myself or get excited so as not to help the poison get around my system. Despite this my plan was to crawl up to him and with the last of my strength place a flare up his arse, set it off and explain the ins and outs of emergency signals
Heaps around Mordy pier some about 2M across, sort of like big carpet sweepers.
When we salt flyfish the flats we always shuffle or feet rather than step.
I steped on either a small ray or a sKate once WTF would be an understatement.
Tony