Hobie ABT Round Tassie

Australian Bream Fishing competition talk here!
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Hobie ABT Round Tassie

Post by madfishman »

Hi guys,
just a small report on our trip to tassie for the Scamander round of the Hobie ABT round.

The good news is a new guy (in the rounds) from melb, Rodman, , yes a vic came equal third and its his second round on the Hobie ABT, so he's now qualified to fish in the grand final in a factory supplied PA, we were all stoked for him and he picked up a $100.

It was a pretty cool trip , BIG SHOUT out to ScottY Lovig for taking the yaks on the trailer, champion.

On the day we started at 6.45AM, still dark and added the time to the end, out of all competitors 98% went up to the mud flats and most guys got their bag pretty quick with some guys already having a bear in the fridge 8-) ( stonker in the live well). i started down the start and worked my up for nothing, i stuck to once side, nice and tight to the bank and had over 1000000000 casts.Pick up a couple at 10cm and 20cm, no good. :cry:

I was throwing vibes, lobby's, shallow divers, top water, med divers in all colours, and nothing, i didnt know the guys were cleanin up on the flats so just cruising the banks. When i get up to the entrance of the flats this local guy has pulled 3 fish in front of me in the time i get around the corner and within 50mtrs. This guy was a really a cool guy and really friendly and he had one of those yaks that the back splits into floats. so any way, as i get up close to the flats, this guy tells me to slow down my wind and add a few more pauses, cheers. i start flicking around and this guy has pulled upto the bank and gets started into a really nice looking sandwich and sits there watching everyone. I mean everyone was somewhere on the flats, there were dudes everywhere, flicking here, there and everywhere.
I pick up 2 small bream about 22cm, and see a few more guys pick up some more bloody fish and do an upgrade, bloody dead give away when a dudes throw bream outta the live well... :twisted:
So its 11am and no fish do i say to one of the guys, scew this im going to the pub, so i pedal all the way back to the start and decide to flick the sand flats around the bridges.

This is were everything goes BONKERS, i put on a dd panish and had my first cast at the pylon next to a flat and feel the lure hit the edge of the bank, slow down and puse, then BANG BANG and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT im on and its a nice one, had a few good runs and get into the well with out even measuring it, its nearly 30cm to the fork, and then a few ok 2 more casts at the pylon and nothing so i pedal over to the next one and BANG , im on a again, now im so stoked and loving it, get that into the well and feel sooooooo much better.
Then i look over and the flatsare starting to flow a little harder on an outgoing, so i pedal out to the flats and spot a couple nice channels, i get into my spot and stick the stake out pole and get myself sortd.
On the same lure i picked a fish every second cast, and they started at 25, 25.5, 26, 26.5 but couldnt get any bigger than i already had, look at the time and its 1.30pm and a few guys are heading in. Alright im pumped, got three ok fish in the well and im in for a chance and no donuts :lol: .

Had a great time catching up with all the guys including the usuall interstate guys, who are aways up for a few stubbies and a laugh.

so heres a link to the final results if you havent seen them.. http://www.hobiefishing.com.au/2010/02/ ... /#more-794
Last edited by madfishman on 01 Mar 2010, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au
mattyp
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA

Re: Hobie ABT Round Tassie

Post by mattyp »

Top report pal. Pissed that I missed it!
Also congrats to Gary (rodman) for making it to the GF after competing in his third ABT event.
GO VICS!
Cheers,
Matty

ImageImageImage
Rodman
Apprentice
kayak: Outback

Post by Rodman »

Thanks guys, happy with the equal 3rd place and the grand final spot. Gotta get the Vic numbers in the final up in relation to the number of competitors. Those Tassie bream pull some good string. There are definitely some good ones in there, I got smoked by one big time in the pre-fish.

The local guy was Greg Woods, who fishes the Tassie ABT and classics as a boater, and has made the GF once or twice. He stayed with me, and yes was a top bloke who makes good sandwiches, would you like me to describe what they tasted like, Neil? He fished from a Freedom Hawk, and did well to finish in 6th for his first go at kayak fishing. He also distributes Strike Pro lures over there, and put me onto another one that will soon be joining it's mates in my Strike Pro box, the Bass-X.

BTW, if anyone wants a Bassday Kangoku Vibe, there's one hanging under the old Scamander bridge (whacks self on back of head in Hoges/Strop fashion).
Last edited by Rodman on 28 Sep 2010, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Lovig
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobies

Post by Scott Lovig »

Well Done again Gary

Cheers

Scott
Cheers

Scott Lovig

Scott Lovig Hobie
03 5975 6399
12C Satu Way Mornington 3931
http://www.slhobie.com.au
fishsmith
Square eyes
kayak: Pro Angler and Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12

Post by fishsmith »

Congrats on making the finals Gary, hopefully I'll catch up with you again at Marlo....Nice report neil..