Flares

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
geocacher
Apprentice
kayak: 2 Hobie Adventure Islands & a Sport

Flares

Post by geocacher »

Hi all,

Just a thought. When out on the yak I carry Paines Wessex Miniflares in the rip off pocket of my inflatable PFD.

It's a hand held firer and three red flares (you can get a 9 flare kit too).

You can get them anywhere that stocks Paines Wessex flares, they may have to order them in. Expect to pay $60-$70.

I think there's a smoke one too but I haven't got one yet.

Dave
Two AI's & a Sport - just like choosing lures, which one do you start with today?
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Re: Flares

Post by ELM »

Last year I tried to find mini flares and could not find them anywhere ended up buying full size and prayed that I would not get separated from the yak as they are to big to carry on person. About a week after I bought them I saw them in a Whitworths catalog, funny I rang them when initially hunting and they said no don't get them, saw them again the other week and started to think how well would they fit in the PFD and are they waterproof enough to just stick in the pocket.

Whats your take on them?
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

geocacher
Apprentice
kayak: 2 Hobie Adventure Islands & a Sport

Post by geocacher »

They are great. The tube they are stored in is sealed but they are designed to work when wet. I first found out about them during survival at sea training for work. Recommended by the trainer from the coastguard - a long time yachty - his personal recommendation.

They live in my jacket now.

Dave
Two AI's & a Sport - just like choosing lures, which one do you start with today?
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Post by paddlepop »

I just bought a pack of 9 min flares - they are the type that fire up to 40m and burn red for 5 sec - paid ~$99 but reckon worth every cent.
When you think that yachties carry a huge array of safety equipment and they are on something thats generally highly unlikely to dump them in the drink - and you get kayakers out there in shorts and sunnys no PFD on something thats highly like to dump you !!

The flares expire in about 3 years so maybe have to go to a soccer game and test them out !!! :lol: :twisted:
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

excellent idea have been asking about these but no one seemed to know about them .Cheers Jim :thumbsup:
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Post by paddlepop »

I made up a little nylon pouch which velcros on to my PFD - I reckon that you need to have ON YOU. Been out in some decent swells recently and thought 'if i come off in this sh!@# its a possiblility of a) becoming separated from the yak :down: :down: b) finding that the sea state makes re-entry impossible' :down:

Don't get me wrong - I'm quite happy out in a bit of chop but if you do stop and think about it you really don't need that big a sea to make things difficult-
yes I know - should'nt go out alone either :oops: (thats why I'm prepared) :thumbsup:

Whitworth Marine in Elizabeth st should have the 3 and 9 pack - they also have 'mini' fog horns that fit in PFD pocket too. Picked one up for $6.

Hmmmmm.....wonder if the beast will take a liferaft :lol: :lol:
P1000048.JPG
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Hmmmmm...I think I'd personally be uncomfortable with pyrotechnics attached to my body, but not sure what the alternative is

Dig
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

I'd feel safer with a pouch of glow-sticks
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Flares stored in the bow of a PA, next to the butane cannister for the BBQ - could be an exciting pedal. Fortunately the watertight bulkheads should stop it sinking. :lol:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.