Motor

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
greg--maka
Apprentice
kayak: i don't as yet

Motor

Post by greg--maka »

Hi, fist post i think ,i still haven't bought my Kayak as yet but it is depended on only one tiny big issue.

Does anyone here know if putting an electric motor to a Kayak is going to carry on to 2020 in Victoria. I did not want to ask this on the fishing forum just in case i get my head bitten off. P.S there is some good fishing at Werribee rock wall,or harbor as some will call it. Also would like to know if anyone living in the area would come and kayak with me as i will be new to this.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Motor

Post by peatop »

I don't think anyone could answer this definitively, but given the trial has been extended and motor size upgraded one would think that it will become permanent.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
greg--maka
Apprentice

Post by greg--maka »

Thanks for your reply i will find out the answer on Monday and fill you all in.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Greg - not sure what kayak you have in mind but a small flats skiff would be worth a look as well

one of the guys on here does the Solo Skiff ( Ironhorse there's a plug Steve ) and a built much like a kayak/canoe /paddle board from roto moulded plastic and take up to a 5 hp outboard
Eoin ( Seasherpa ) can probably get hold of the steath units and I know he is building one of his own
and a few of us are looking at building our own stitch and glue micro skiffs

The one I have been designing for myself is around 410 cm long 120 cm wide and is like one big casting deck powered by a 10 - 15 hp
the skiff it self should come in around 65 kg + motor --- thats around the same weight as a Hobie PA 14 but will draw less water and have a larger cast area
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG
this is a 1/3 size model I made to make sure my panel sizes matched up and to make sure it faired out ok along the bulk heads

the biggest advantage going down the skiff route is they are designed to take a motor - it's not an after thought
these things are also still light enough to wheel to the water

anyway it was just a thought
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
greg--maka
Apprentice

Post by greg--maka »

That looks like a great project. I think i messed up my question.I meant to ask about putting a motor on kayak without acquiring a licence.For the last 2 years its been aloud,would like to know if it would be a permanent thing,and yes it would be great to put a small outboard motor instead of week battery power.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I guess whether it continues or not depends on have many people get themselves in difficulty doing this. I guess at some stage they will make that decision and it would be impossible to predict.

Biggest risk comes from people who have never been on a kayak before buying the shortest and cheapest kayak and sticking a motor on it to bypass learning how to kayak. Going out on the bay and tipping it over.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

greg--maka wrote: it would be great to put a small outboard motor instead of week battery power.
it's not just the out board thing but I was talking about the craft being built to suit a motor and of cause having the carry capacity to carry batteries

laneends wrote:Biggest risk comes from people who have never been on a kayak before buying the shortest and cheapest kayak and sticking a motor on it to bypass learning how to kayak. Going out on the bay and tipping it over.
as keith said this is the risk - most kayaks are not built to carry motors and batteries - how does it balance if you turn it over can you get it up the right way with batteries
and the fun part can you paddle back if or when the batteries run out of puff
this last point we know about I cant remember the guys name that can for a fish with us from lang lang with a electic motor
it really wasn't any faster than us paddling our skis - the real fun started on the way back when he had no power and had to paddle - not a lot of fun in a tide flow with the extra drag of a motor and weight of the battery
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I often watch youtube videos and Rok kit has one of the stealth skiffs that he gets out on quite often, it looks like a lot of fun island hopping, but just like kayaking your still limited by weather :up:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

peatop wrote:I often watch youtube videos and Rok kit has one of the stealth skiffs that he gets out on quite often, it looks like a lot of fun island hopping, but just like kayaking your still limited by weather :up:
These are designed for it and cost serious $$, a completely different story to the cheap pool toys with a motor attached.
greg--maka
Apprentice

Post by greg--maka »

I suppose its all dependent on how people have gotten themselves in trouble in the water and misbehaved. I will be looking at a kayak and motor and battery to cover 2 straight hours at most.My use will only be 50-100 meters from the Werribee rocks on a day no more than 5 knots and less than 1/4 meter waves,as i live not far and will and able to pick my days. Speed does not worry me much,haven't made up my mind yet as, no motor no go. It's just to get onto some fish at close range,as walking on those rocks is not very safe.