Wind Direction = Decision where to launch

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Mirrors27
kayak: Hobie Outback

Wind Direction = Decision where to launch

Post by Mirrors27 »

Hi Guys,

Was just wondering how to start working out where to fish based on wind direction and speed. Using tomorrow as an example, forecast is south easterly 20kmh winds, we were initially going to fish Altona, but would a south easterly be the worst wind for that location as it gathers momentum across the bay? Would love to get peoples insight on this.

Cheers
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Wind Direction = Decision where to launch

Post by laneends »

Mirrors27 wrote:Hi Guys,

Was just wondering how to start working out where to fish based on wind direction and speed. Using tomorrow as an example, forecast is south easterly 20kmh winds, we were initially going to fish Altona, but would a south easterly be the worst wind for that location as it gathers momentum across the bay? Would love to get peoples insight on this.

Cheers
Check the forecast in the morning, and take note of what is happening in middle of the bay as that will have a residual effect in close.

Predictions are not precise and as it stands that forecast could be anything from ripples to bumpy. If you dont have far to travel i would treat it as suck it and see and be prepared to come off the water if it gets too lumpy for you
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

In general yes, onshore winds will create worse conditions for a given area, especially in PPB. However the forecast for tomorrow morning is relatively light at under 10kts and may be less in reality as Keith mentioned (BOM/WW can often be conservative). What strength of onshore wind you can handle will depend on your experience, the capability of your kayak, and both in combination. New comers will often stick to less than 10kts until they are comfortable. Some locations like Altona can even be uncomfortable at 10kts, particularly if it's been blowing for a while and a high tide sees waves washing into the launch area.

For stronger wind speeds above 10kts, you should definitely look for areas that the wind will be coming from the land. If you're prepared to travel then there are always other (and often better) options around the bay or elsewhere. Also WP is a little different as French Island and the banks limit the winds impact. Other locations such as rivers and eg crater lakes can remain fishable when all other areas are blown out. Knowing your options and what best choice to make comes with experience but if in doubt just ask as there are plenty of people here who've already have a ton of experience.
0408 565 763
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Mirrors27 wrote:Hi Guys,

Using tomorrow as an example, forecast is south easterly 20kmh winds,

Cheers

Just a heads up you will note Shane spoke it knts ( Knotts ) the conversion is 10 knts = 18.5 kph

it's worth knowing this and paying attention to it as some guys talk one measurement and some the other
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

FYI i was there this morning and the actual conditions turned out to be light breeze, but a little bumpy. No drama for anyone used to it but a newbie may have been slightly uncomfortable.

I practised remounts. A bit rusty and reminded just how much clothes, pfd etc catch up on various bits of the yak fittings, and i was doing it with a totally bare yak , not even a seat.
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

I practised remounts. A bit rusty and reminded just how much clothes, pfd etc catch up ..............., and i was doing it with a totally bare yak ,
Were you doing that at Altona or were you really at Sunnyside? :yahoo:
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

erik the viking wrote:
I practised remounts. A bit rusty and reminded just how much clothes, pfd etc catch up ..............., and i was doing it with a totally bare yak ,
Were you doing that at Altona or were you really at Sunnyside? :yahoo:
:lol: