Plugging screw-holes in hulls?

Show off your DIY project!
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Plugging screw-holes in hulls?

Post by mingle »

Hi Guys,

I have a few smallish (6mm) screw-holes in one of my yaks that I'd like to cover up.

Don't really need to 'professionally' fill them with polyethylene, I guess I could buy some cup/pan-head screws to plug them.

I was wondering if there's any such thing as small, low-profile grommets or plugs that are available, which can be used for the job?

Cheers,

Mike.
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Re: Plugging screw-holes in hulls?

Post by westy »

Tap out and put in a s/steel grub screw ;)
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Post by frappa11 »

I actually filled a screw hole with a putty knife heated on the stove and a HDPE milk bottle - took less then 5 minutes. Easier to do then messing around with screws and stuff ?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

To answer your question, a ss blind rivet, a blind rivet does not have an opening at the tail end so the rivet itself is sealed ;)

However im in favor of Rons idea, if you get the knife at the right temp to melt the HDPE to a putty and force it into the hole then fuse the perant material to the filler it wont move, leak or come out.

Another option if the holes are in good areas fit nutserts in them, make it look like they were meant to be there. After thought ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

just melt some HDPE easier, cleaner, won't rust or leak. Just use your soldering iron or hold a kitchen knife/steel spatula over hot stove & melt the HDPE. Real easy
John 3.16/17
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Yako wrote:just melt some HDPE easier, cleaner, won't rust or leak. Just use your soldering iron or hold a kitchen knife/steel spatula over hot stove & melt the HDPE. Real easy
x2. This, much easier to do than you may think and will end up with the best results of all options suggested. Generally a soldering iron is better and work the HDPE into the hole and surrounding plastic. Just don't hold the soldering iron in it too long or it will blacken. You can also trim some excess plastic off hatch covers or opening edges and use it to get an exact colour match. Sand off then use a heat gun and you may not even be able to see it.
0408 565 763
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Thanks for the suggestions guys - looks like filling with plastic is the best option.

Still a bit uncertain as to how to actually melt and apply the HDPE - would I cut it into small flakes, then melt it with the soldering iron onto a piece of foil, then spread/push into the hole with a knife-blade or similar?

Or is it possible to use a thin 'stick' of HDPE like you would with solder? Do the surrounds of the hole have to be heated too?

Cheers,

Mike.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

This is one of the better videos for what you want. A standard soldering iron and HDPE offcuts will work. I use a dremel at the end then heat with a heat gun to smooth off.

0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Practice on the garbage bin if you like, its the same plastic