Leader for big snapper

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Leader for big snapper

Post by frappa11 »

What lb leader for big snapper ?

I just hooked up to what I thought was a big one - but very quickly the snapper bit cleanly through my 30lb black magic leader - this was not a knot the leader was sliced clean through near the hook.

What lb should I use (or any other measure ?) to reduce the changes of this happening ?

Is there a common lb that snapper dont bit through ?
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Re: Leader for big snapper

Post by vicyak »

I've up my leader from 20lb to 30lb after loosing a few 6kg+ fish. Will go back down to 20lb end of November.

Answer is though is depending where you fish and the terrain your over. If fishing on reef/rocks you could go higher. However the thicker your leader there is a chance of less action. You can also get more abrasion resistant leader as well.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

New season fish tend to have sharper teeth as well. I go up to 15lb now and drop back to 12lb using the sp's. Perhaps 20lb if I am bait fishing - erggh.

Might not have been a snapper either.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Kiwidundee
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback...Thunder Child

Post by Kiwidundee »

I have never been bitten of by a snapper...touch wood. In PPB I use 20 to 40 lb depending on the main line strength I'm using and the fish I'm expecting to catch.
My mobile 0428917691

PB...Snapper 81cm Ricketts Point, Black Marlin bigger than your yak SWR, Flathead 60cm Sunnyside, Whiting 46cm Flinders, Gummy shark 124cm Reef Island, Sth Calamari 41cm hood length Flinders.
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Post by frappa11 »

Well this was at rickets around 7pm during the bite window when lots of larger pinkies were biting - bait was a pilly tail.

I think I had 2 head shakes early on as well but it went so fast I was stunned how quickly it happened. Made the boaties look at me when I kept screaming obscenities.

Anyway I will run 30lb on 1 rod and 40lb on the other. Hope thats enough.
maverick wrote:New season fish tend to have sharper teeth as well. I go up to 15lb now and drop back to 12lb using the sp's. Perhaps 20lb if I am bait fishing - erggh.

Might not have been a snapper either.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Then its a pain when you snag up with big leaders
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

What leader material are you using? I use fluoro its much more resistant to abrasion and bitting off also circle hooks can help, another is snelled hooks, i was using 15lb fluoro for my terminal snapper rig but after having many issues with knot breakages i moved to 20lb as i lost faith in the suppliers supply of 15lb :cry: i personally think anything above 20lb this early before they are fighting over their food might not get as many hits, however it's a case of better to catch one than loose 20 ;) thinking back I've lost the bottom hook in a snelled rig.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm