my first kayak

Show off your kayak!
calebie
kayak: Lovig Kahawai 12

Re: my first kayak

Post by calebie »

Thanks guys. I went out on the weekend and found dry storage to be a problem. The area behind the seat filled with water pretty quickly and didn't drain even though I don't have the scuppers plugged. I soaked my tackle box and jacket. I'm also trying to figure out how I can setup some vertical rod holders rather than the 45 degree ones I have behind the seat. I'm thinking of using an old esky but I don't know whether to use that for fish and the compartment between my legs for tackle or vice versa....
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Allen, for dry storage I used a plastic flexible bucket/clothes basket from Bunnings then trimmed it height wise, folded it and put it in the hatch behind the seat. Then open the bucket up inside the hull and you can fit a fair bit in there and it stays dry :up: I used to store food, drinks, clothes, first aid kit, tackle boxes, etc.
Brett
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Kingfisher

Post by Brett »

calebie wrote:How did you go with it matari? I have also just got one of these kayaks. Keen to see or hear if you've made any additions.....

Sorry it's taken a while to do this for you.

So far we have made a trolley,
trolley.jpg
Also changed his milk crate to an eski the same as mine,
Eski.jpg
Eski1.jpg
We have also made a cpl of racks(stolen design from cheaterparts who made one for my old kingfisher)
stainless.jpg
stainless1.jpg
stainless2.jpg
stainless3.jpg
rack1.jpg
With the sounder, we have used the Railblaza Transducer Arm with a sideport, in the front mount holes, for the transducer.
We needed to add a swivel extension to allow clearance of the side of the yak. (Will get a photo of this later)

Also added an anchor trolley.
anchor trolley.jpg
We've added a flag, with another sideport on the provided mounting in the rear of the yak.

Cheers, Brett.
calebie

Post by calebie »

Tim399 wrote:Allen, for dry storage I used a plastic flexible bucket/clothes basket from Bunnings then trimmed it height wise, folded it and put it in the hatch behind the seat. Then open the bucket up inside the hull and you can fit a fair bit in there and it stays dry :up: I used to store food, drinks, clothes, first aid kit, tackle boxes, etc.
Unfortunately, I don't have the compartment behind me on the Lovig. Would have been helpful if they had put one there though. Thinking of using an esky to keep a couple of things like jacket and tackle.
calebie

Post by calebie »

Brett wrote:
calebie wrote:How did you go with it matari? I have also just got one of these kayaks. Keen to see or hear if you've made any additions.....

Sorry it's taken a while to do this for you.

So far we have made a trolley,
trolley.jpg
Also changed his milk crate to an eski the same as mine,
Eski.jpg
Eski1.jpg
We have also made a cpl of racks(stolen design from cheaterparts who made one for my old kingfisher)
stainless.jpg
stainless1.jpg
stainless2.jpg
stainless3.jpg
rack1.jpg
With the sounder, we have used the Railblaza Transducer Arm with a sideport, in the front mount holes, for the transducer.
We needed to add a swivel extension to allow clearance of the side of the yak. (Will get a photo of this later)

Also added an anchor trolley.
anchor trolley.jpg
We've added a flag, with another sideport on the provided mounting in the rear of the yak.

Cheers, Brett.

No worries at all! That is super helpful. I'd been looking around the forum and Pinterest for ideas but I reckon you're set up is great for that yak. I'm repurposing an old esky to sit behind me as well, althought it's a bit big. I thought it would be best to attach some rod holders to it just as you have done. Do you use the esky for gear and the compartment between your legs for fish or vice versa?

The railing set up for the rod holders up front is fantastic. Think I'll have to see if I can do something similar. Loving the trolley as well. Thanks for that. Gives me plenty of ideas!
Brett
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Kingfisher

Post by Brett »

calebie wrote:
No worries at all! That is super helpful. I'd been looking around the forum and Pinterest for ideas but I reckon you're set up is great for that yak. I'm repurposing an old esky to sit behind me as well, althought it's a bit big. I thought it would be best to attach some rod holders to it just as you have done. Do you use the esky for gear and the compartment between your legs for fish or vice versa?

The railing set up for the rod holders up front is fantastic. Think I'll have to see if I can do something similar. Loving the trolley as well. Thanks for that. Gives me plenty of ideas!
Keeping the center compartment for gear at this stage. Will keep food and cold drinks in the eski, until (or if) we catch something, then will probably throw the drinks/food into the center compartment and put the fish in the eski.