Summer safety

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Summer safety

Post by Franko »

As some yaks get dusted off and more vyakkers hit the wet stuff. I thought I would start a thread on safety as it seems the water police are hot on the trail this snapper season. Hopefully a few surf and re-entry sessions can be had as the water temp and fishing heats up. The main requiements for ppb and wp would have stayed the same but a general conversation for the people who may of forgotten or the newbies could save a fine or life.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Franko
Lord of the fish

Re: Summer safety

Post by Franko »

Long or short sessions I always have a flag up to start with and my PFD with a red flasher on my shoulder and PLB. Spare paddle and I always let my wife know where I am planning to launch and a time of return, when I'm back on land I text immediately. I have a dry bag that holds my emergency gear. Rope, water, knife, emergency blanket, sponge, drouge and bailer I can take my epirb but that's mainly offshore.
0401 314 820

Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

I'd lose the red flasher. That indicates a port lateral mark. You'd be better off with a solid white light.

This might surprise some, but if drifting or underway a kayak does not have to display lights at all. However, a torch or lantern must be carried and exhibited in time to avoid collision.
A kayak need only display a 360 degree all round white light when at anchor.
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

Great points, I didnt know that a red flash would be an issue. it is only used if i get separated from the yak at night.
0401 314 820

Redmullet
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yella PA 14 & red sit inside

Post by Redmullet »

I have found the "find my friends' app very good in terms of a loved one knowing where your are fishing or your last location in case something goes wrong.
Redmullet
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

inshorebrawler wrote:Great points, I didnt know that a red flash would be an issue. it is only used if i get separated from the yak at night.
Ah, fair enough. In those circumstances, anything you can do to draw attention to yourself is ok, but not ideal under normal circumstances.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Redmullet wrote:I have found the "find my friends' app very good in terms of a loved one knowing where your are fishing or your last location in case something goes wrong.
Redmullet
Good one. That save me trying to explain where I am or having to phone in a location change when nothing is happening - not that I generally remember any of that, which is the entire point of installing the app.

No gain without pain - the mutual stalking feels a bit creepy.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/