Scammers and how to relieve boredom

Completely off topic!
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Scammers and how to relieve boredom

Post by bunyip »

Phone rings and a very noisy background that didn’t sound like the usual call centre, a sub continent accent tells me it is Telstra (I am not with Telstra) and I have a problem with my computer.
I said I am sitting at my keyboard what do I do so he gives instructions to type in www, etc etc etc followed by some exec/etc etc etc, can’t remember all the details.
I ask him to repeat and say I am going to speaker phone so I can use two hands.
He seems happy with this and relays instructions, I say I have entered all of this he then tells me to hit enter, where is enter, it is on the right of the keyboard, I said there is no enter button so he said is there a return, I said yes and he told me to hit this, I said I did and a bell rang.
Somewhat mystified he asked what my OS was, I said I don’t know what an OS is, he tried to explain and I acted all mystified and confused then asked what brand I was using, I said it was a Remington, now he was confused and asked how old it was, I told him it was at least 50 years old and the best typewriter I had ever owned, he then told me to get f....... and hung up.
This protracted conversation actually went on for about 15 minutes and Gungha Din was getting quite frustrated, I thought my apparent confusion was quite well executed.
Rosemary had some difficulty containing herself during the conversation.
The question is now should I report his rudeness to Telstra?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Scammers and how to relieve boredom

Post by laneends »

I keep getting calls masquerading as wrong numbers, they keep asking for say a Brian someone or other. Obviously made up. So I say yep thats me you have the right number.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Scam calls have become so bad I'm almost ready to change phone numbers.

A lot of them just record your voice (for potential use in ID theft). Now whenever I get a call and pick up the receiver, I listen, but don't say anything. If it's an automated caller it'll hang up in 4 or 5 seconds, if it's a genuine caller (scammer, or otherwise) they'll say something... Sad sate of affairs.

Mike.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Although these are obvious. I was nearly hit with a scam at work. The email was very personal to someone. They had even registered a domain very similar (the r and n can look like a m). Something didn't feel right and and I stopped a 20K invoice from being paid which had looked like it had been approved and sent to finance.

Personalised attacks are becoming normal.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

vicyak wrote:Although these are obvious. I was nearly hit with a scam at work. The email was very personal to someone. They had even registered a domain very similar (the r and n can look like a m). Something didn't feel right and and I stopped a 20K invoice from being paid which had looked like it had been approved and sent to finance.

Personalised attacks are becoming normal.
Telstra got done for doing the same thing a few hmm lota years ago, they would send bogas bills out and they would be just paid, if questioned they would just say sorry for the mistake, but then the responsible authorities cought on an they got their ass kicked, big time.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
chunk9000
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Post by chunk9000 »

The only people who ring my landline is my mother in law and scammers so my kids always answer. If it's not the mother in law, the kids just say ridiculous things until they hang up. The kids know what to say & what not to say. It's become a big game in our house.
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

chunk9000 wrote:The only people who ring my landline is my mother in law and scammers so my kids always answer. If it's not the mother in law, the kids just say ridiculous things until they hang up. The kids know what to say & what not to say. It's become a big game in our house.
Hahaha, same at our place although I have been known to have quite the extended conversation with them if I’ve had a few cans. My Mrs hates it but the kids reckon it’s a great laugh