Patterson Lakes Bream Part two

A forum for member's kayak or fishing related videos
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Patterson Lakes Bream Part two

Post by mazman »

Hey guys,
Here's the second session from last week at patto.
A trip that is largely summarised by frustration but I did manage to boat a few.
Hope you enjoy.

Cheers Alex
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Re: Patterson Lakes Bream Part two

Post by erik the viking »

Hey Alex;
I just caught up with your bream fishing at Patto parts 1&2.
Great work again.
I still can't get my head around fishing and talking to an audience. Too busy. :D
I still reckon your session down gippy with Arron was some of the best stuff. (well I liked it anyway).
Devastated by the lost pb. Bugger. :o
BTW, I swapped to Fastach clips a while ago after I lost a monster squid with a regular Egg snap.
Still don't know how it happened but after that I went to the Fastach clips and I have never had a dropped fish. Ever.
I even use the bigger 75lb ones for the cod gear, as I only have one rod and swap continually. Easy as.
I rigged one up on the pergola at home and hung off it to check, and it didn't open up, so I figured I was safe. :thumbsup:
The smaller ones for trout/reddies/bream look fine on the front of a lure or a jig head. Tough as nails too.
Well, that's what I found and thought I would share. :thumbsup:
Keep up the great work.
mazman
Lord of the fish

Post by mazman »

erik the viking wrote:Hey Alex;
Great work again.
I still can't get my head around fishing and talking to an audience. Too busy. :D
I still reckon your session down gippy with Arron was some of the best stuff. (well I liked it anyway).
BTW, I swapped to Fastach clips a while ago after I lost a monster squid with a regular Egg snap.
Still don't know how it happened but after that I went to the Fastach clips and I have never had a dropped fish. Ever.
I even use the bigger 75lb ones for the cod gear, as I only have one rod and swap continually. Easy as.
I rigged one up on the pergola at home and hung off it to check, and it didn't open up, so I figured I was safe. :thumbsup:
The smaller ones for trout/reddies/bream look fine on the front of a lure or a jig head. Tough as nails too.
Keep up the great work.
Thanks Erik, I'm pretty sure the opened clip was user error not shutting it properly. Have tested them out and can't get another to open, especially on 4lb leaders. Went back this morning and managed to get into them again 8 hooked for 6 landed this time round and the two I missed were very brief encounters where I never really hooked them.

I'll be back out to gippy this weekend at this stage
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

mazman wrote:
Great work again.
Keep up the great work.
Thanks Erik, I'm pretty sure the opened clip was user error not shutting it properly. Have tested them out and can't get another to open, especially on 4lb leaders. Went back this morning and managed to get into them again 8 hooked for 6 landed this time round and the two I missed were very brief encounters where I never really hooked them.

Gippy where you headed :evilgrin:
May see you down that way
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

mazman wrote:
Great work again.
Keep up the great work.

Once again some good vids thanks Alex, i was using some small clips on my sp/eggie leaders i think they are eggie clips, but i recently bought some from rigmaster tackle that are eggie clips but you wind the jig/lure on, I've been using these a while now and find them far easier and no room for human error.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
mazman
Lord of the fish

Post by mazman »

bjspinner wrote:
mazman wrote:
Great work again.
Keep up the great work.

Gippy where you headed :evilgrin:
May see you down that way
Looking to be bemm
erik the viking
Square eyes

peatop wrote: I'll be back out to gippy this weekend at this stage

Once again some good vids thanks Alex, i was using some small clips on my sp/eggie leaders i think they are eggie clips, but i recently bought some from rigmaster tackle that are eggie clips but you wind the jig/lure on, I've been using these a while now and find them far easier and no room for human error.
If those clips you are using Peter are the ones I saw, I think they are the Rigmaster version of the Fastach. Although I think they have a swivel up front?
Those swivel ones in the smallest size would be great for river spinning to avoid line twists.
A couple of the trout gurus I follow use somewhat larger clips without swivels. Too large I would say, although they have no issue on 4lb line with these clips! :o
Eggi trout Clip).JPG
Check out the size of the clip?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

erik the viking wrote:

If those clips you are using Peter are the ones I saw, I think they are the Rigmaster version of the Fastach. Although I think they have a swivel up front?
Those swivel ones in the smallest size would be great for river spinning to avoid line twists.
A couple of the trout gurus I follow use somewhat larger clips without swivels. Too large I would say, although they have no issue on 4lb line with these clips! :o
Eggi trout Clip).JPG
Yah Eric they are the ones with swivels, when they arrived i was at first disappointed as they were very small and was going to order the largest size, however have found they are perfect for looped attachment but not so good on split rings unless you attach 2 clips so they sit better or buy the bigger sizes to suite the application, it's a shame they don't make larger sizes(current range is 6-15kg) as they would be very useful on heavy setups.
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
erik the viking
Square eyes

peatop wrote:
erik the viking wrote:

Eggi trout Clip).JPG
Yah Eric they are the ones with swivels, when they arrived i was at first disappointed as they were very small and was going to order the largest size, however have found they are perfect for looped attachment but not so good on split rings unless you attach 2 clips so they sit better or buy the bigger sizes to suite the application, it's a shame they don't make larger sizes(current range is 6-15kg) as they would be very useful on heavy setups.
Yes, the old split ring can be nuisance for all sorts of reasons.
It can be a hassle for a loop knot attachment as well, so I remove mine and let the Fastach do the work.
If you get the Mustad ones without the swivel you can get them up to 100kg!
You don't really need a swivel on most hb's, squid jigs and sp jig heads.
But then lots don't use clip type attachments anyway.............
Each to their own :thumbsup:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

erik the viking wrote:
Yes, the old split ring can be nuisance for all sorts of reasons.
It can be a hassle for a loop knot attachment as well, so I remove mine and let the Fastach do the work.
If you get the Mustad ones without the swivel you can get them up to 100kg!
You don't really need a swivel on most hb's, squid jigs and sp jig heads.
But then lots don't use clip type attachments anyway.............
Each to their own :thumbsup:
i used to use swivels with clips on every rod until i hooked onto something big off Barwon heads in the late 80's and straightened the clip now i only use them on light rods, all others have swivels which have many downsides when it comes to changing rigs, i guess it comes down to checking your setup before each use to make sure it's upto the task you expect.