Indoor phone reception

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: Indoor phone reception

Post by Digger »

Steve_R wrote:It's a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact D5803

I’ve just looked at the information and find it unclear and confusing but then I now longer talk the same lingo that they use now. You need a tech to advise you. I can assist with design of a simple RX antenna if you want to progress this.

My antenna experience only extends to amateur radio qualifications and working in the industry for about 14 years.
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Digger wrote:
bunyip wrote:you can also amplify a tv signal providing it is retransmitted on the same frequency.
To reduce the risk of interfernce you can change the transmitting antennas polarity, can drop by up to about 30 dbuv, change receiveer as well so their is no swamping.

In the last 12 months we had a mobile tower installed just 400 metres from the house and after a while we started experiencing massive break up of free to air TV signals.

It occurred to me after a while that the events were at about the same time so I called a TV antenna bloke in and apparently my 20 year old mast head amp was amplifying across those same frequencies and causing the interference. A new narrower range amp fixed the problem. I though at that distance it might have been front end overload but not so fortunately.

We certainly love having mobiles that work at home now....Grin~

(Many thanks to our local member Darren Chester)
An electrical store in the western district was having problems with reception, he had about 10 TV's in the shop and they simply were not working.
Pulled out the spectrum analyser and nearly melted it, he had a mast head amp which was putting out anout 60db but on the south side of a 12 way splitter he lost about 20 db so he stuck in an inline amp, that worked and boosted the signal pre splitter to about 160db.
We turned it down to about 90db and let the splitter do the rset, I was surprised that the front end overload didn,t destroy the sets.
Bigger is not always better.
I was going to offer drop taps but hated to think how he could bugger that up.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

It looks like an alternative may be on the way.
https://www.vodafone.com.au/support/dev ... fi-calling

I just installed a wifi calling app. This was able to be switched on so it seems my phone is compatible despite being unlisted. When Vodaphone gets the system rolled out to cover my plan and if their system works with my phone, the problem should be cured.

Others with similar signal issues may like to check their network carriers (i.e. Tesltra, Optus) for wifi calling information.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Just so your aware wifi calls could use a considerable amount of data, it would be wise to check this before you make to many calls
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

peatop wrote:Just so your aware wifi calls could use a considerable amount of data, it would be wise to check this before you make to many calls
Thanks for the heads up. I have my eye on unlimited NBN50 with TPG when we switch to (now available) NBN. On the TPG website the word 'unlimited' doesn't have an asterisk but there may be a definition elsewhere.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I have 500 Gig per month and even with Netflix and You Tube have never run out! I stream Spotify all day too.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

My reference was more to mobile data, if using NBN/adsl you shouldn't have any data issues ;)
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

I rarely ever use phone data. The PC takes care of my data needs. I was cut off from Internet for three days recently and switched mobile data on but the size of the screen and using the on-screen keyboard on top of that really p!22e2 me off. So, generally phone data is a meaningless figure. Often, all of my 3Gb goes unused.

peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

I use my phones mobile Hotspot it basically turns my phone into a modem, and i just use wifi to connect to it, it's the only Internet i have.
im_no_pro
Apprentice
kayak: Malibu Stealth 12

Post by im_no_pro »

Steve_R wrote:It's a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact D5803
Your handset could well be part of the issue. Not all phones are created equal when it comes to signal strength. A quick google of sony z3 compact reception issues' will get you a lot of hits, mostly unresolved by the looks of things.

When we went from Telstra to Optus for work a few years back we had to replace all iPhone 4 handsets as they became virtually useless overnight in a lot of areas (we have hundreds of mobiles all over the country).

Because you are in a regional area i'd suggest looking at Telstra's list of blue tick handsets - these are tested to provid the best coverage on their network.