Time for the move to pedal

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Time for the move to pedal

Post by peatop »

Thanks guys, in the video Hoit is in a post 2015 hull and it looks like it rides very well in mono, however i can't afford a newer version of the AI, looking at the new revo there is far more room than in the previous models now it has the vantage seat, the tradeoffs in going to a yak instead of a barge im sure i could get used to. I guess i would have to give my carry box a good clean out to store my tackle instead of in hull.

If i had bought the quest instead of the Maverick last year i wouldn't be having these conflicting thoughts, however i think i have enough knowledge now to think about where to head from here.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

peatop wrote:Thanks guys, in the video Hoit is in a post 2015 hull and it looks like it rides very well in mono, however i can't afford a newer version of the AI, looking at the new revo there is far more room than in the previous models now it has the vantage seat, the tradeoffs in going to a yak instead of a barge im sure i could get used to. I guess i would have to give my carry box a good clean out to store my tackle instead of in hull.

If i had bought the quest instead of the Maverick last year i wouldn't be having these conflicting thoughts, however i think i have enough knowledge now to think about where to head from here.
I store heaps in the center hatch of the revo and quests. Simply compartment off the inside with Noodles/ foam to prevent stuff sliding away, and use small containers and let them sit in the hull, dont use the hopeless hatch trays. You get the whole in hull area between drive well and seat, which is as far as you can reach to store stuff.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

peatop wrote:Thanks guys, in the video Hoit is in a post 2015 hull and it looks like it rides very well in mono, however i can't afford a newer version of the AI,
Actually Hoit was using a pre-2015 AI in that video, probably around a 2010-12 model. He upgraded just a couple of years ago. With your height I don't think you would have any issues using it in this mode as the seat and pedal positions should be OK. It is a wet ride with the standard seat being below the waterline. Dry pants help and there also some DIY mods including venturi's on the scuppers and raising the seat base.

I use a couple of sealed containers (systema) in the centre hatch to hold some tackle, using the whole area like Keith. I also have another systema case full of stick baits etc, that's attached to the front cross bar past the mirage drive. But most of my tackle is in a satchel attached to the back of the boat seat I use. You could rig something up off the crossbar using a soft Hobie seat. Otherwise you can put a crate in the rear deck but the base would need to be raised as the rear deck is typically flooded.
0408 565 763
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

It's not the wet ride that i have issues with, it's all about comfort and the ability to move around to relieve stress/pain, the issue with changing the seat is it adds hight although this is fine in both dual and tri hull formation it's not in mono.

If my condition wasn't an issue then i would probably buy the AI and also an older PA or outback ;) . As previously stated if i was to buy a pre vantage seat AI i would fit a removable seat for non mono use and use/put up with using the wet ride seat for mono, this would just mean extra planing prior to fishing as to which setup im going to need, mono for a few hours, polynesian for full day on the bay, or fully setup for offshore or a day out sailing.

The issue is all about comfort, i have what could be called sciatica, if you have had it or similar you might understand where im coming from, but basically what it means is i have to constantly adjust to relieve/stop pain, the better the seating the less pain.

I probably need to test an older AI for a full day or sit in some pre vantage seat hobies with modified seats.
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Kiwidundee
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback...Thunder Child

Post by Kiwidundee »

I have a 2014 outback which is pre vantage seat. 95% of my fishing is in PPB or WP but every once and a while I take her offshore from Portland or SWR. I'm careful with the weather but I find it very stable (out of the surf) and a good fishing platform. It is slow but then I'm not built for spead either. On the positive side it is light enough to pick up and throw on the roof.
Good luck with your kayak hunting
My mobile 0428917691

PB...Snapper 81cm Ricketts Point, Black Marlin bigger than your yak SWR, Flathead 60cm Sunnyside, Whiting 46cm Flinders, Gummy shark 124cm Reef Island, Sth Calamari 41cm hood length Flinders.
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

If your interested in looking at the pre vantage seat PA’s with upgraded seats your more than welcome to swap yaks with me for a bit the next time we fish together :up:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

You guys will be glad to hear I've made my choice to get a PA14 so i wont be anoying you with which one to get ;) lol, i decided on the PA for a few reasons but the 2 main ones being price and it will take me a while to strengthen my legs enough to go tuna chasing, this might give more of the secondhand revos fitted with vantage seats time to come on the market at a more affordable price for me to own 2 hobies ;) .

I went to AWS today to take a better look at the revo, while chatting with them the guy mentioned that they had a boat show bonus of a $500 drop so i was able to walk away with a reasonable setup for 4k, just need to go through the formality of seting up the axtra rod holders, lights, anchor, fishfinder well you know make it mine.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

peatop wrote:You guys will be glad to hear I've made my choice to get a PA14 so i wont be anoying you with which one to get ;) lol, i decided on the PA for a few reasons but the 2 main ones being price and it will take me a while to strengthen my legs enough to go tuna chasing, this might give more of the secondhand revos fitted with vantage seats time to come on the market at a more affordable price for me to own 2 hobies ;) .

I went to AWS today to take a better look at the revo, while chatting with them the guy mentioned that they had a boat show bonus of a $500 drop so i was able to walk away with a reasonable setup for 4k, just need to go through the formality of seting up the axtra rod holders, lights, anchor, fishfinder well you know make it mine.
So did you walk away with a PA or a Revo?
0408 565 763
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Boat show special is definitely worth a look if you are in the market for a mirage drive Yak. :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

peatop wrote:You guys will be glad to hear I've made my choice to get a PA14 .
All I can say is GOOD CHOICE :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo: