New or secondhand + 180 drive

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

New or secondhand + 180 drive

Post by peatop »

I'm wondering what your thoughts are about the 180 drive? I've been debating about buying new or secondhand as currently i can buy a new 2017 outback or revo with 180 drive for $2990 or buy seconhand and already setup most likely without 180 drive. So my thoughts are is it worth buying new to get the addition of the 180 drive? Btw im thinking the outback.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Re: New or secondhand + 180 drive

Post by Reeling »

Unless your adamant with having brand new, I'd go 2nd hand. You'll get more for your money. I believe SHL and others are now doing a conversion kit for the 180 drive so you could even just buy older and convert should you feel the need for a 180drive
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

peatop wrote:I'm wondering what your thoughts are about the 180 drive? I've been debating about buying new or secondhand as currently i can buy a new 2017 outback or revo with 180 drive for $2990 or buy secondhand and already setup most likely without 180 drive. So my thoughts are is it worth buying new to get the addition of the 180 drive? Btw im thinking the outback.

It's up to you what you can afford regarding the craft and accessories.
I first thought the 180 drive was a gimmick. Until I used it.
Then I thought I'd only use it with the standard fins in fresh water, as I found the larger lures tended to drag you toward them. And to also hold position against river flow or wind.
I only required the standard fins as I found the turbo in smaller or calmer water was too much push with even tiny, single strokes.
As for drive or push,the 180 standard fins are somewhere between the standard fins on a normal drive and the turbos.
Not cheap as an after thought, but the small upgrade difference on a new purchase is a definite winner. (well, someones small difference can be someone elses extreme)
A Hobie is not the cheapest craft around, but they are a good reliable craft that hold their resale value if that helps.
Good luck with your purchase.
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

Peter, as explained on here, you can get a lot of extras on a used craft,but there are a few things to think about.
one is you want the 2015 model onward with the vantage seat[keeps you butt out of the water] and is very comfy.
the kit to convert to 180 drive is about $600, so the $2990 price seems attractive, but expect to spend about $600/$1000, or so on pimping up to what you need.
you don't need a lot of stuff on a yak, try to keep it simple, set up once and keep the yak for some years.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

If you've got the time keep a look out for S/H models with the 180 drive. I've started to see the odd one popping up.
0408 565 763
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

If your fishing lures, structure, estuaries then the 180 is well worth it for the bays it's handy but not necessary.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

shane wrote:If you've got the time keep a look out for S/H models with the 180 drive. I've started to see the odd one popping up.
westy wrote:Peter, as explained on here, you can get a lot of extras on a used craft,but there are a few things to think about.
one is you want the 2015 model onward with the vantage seat[keeps you butt out of the water] and is very comfy.
the kit to convert to 180 drive is about $600, so the $2990 price seems attractive, but expect to spend about $600/$1000, or so on pimping up to what you need.
you don't need a lot of stuff on a yak, try to keep it simple, set up once and keep the yak for some years.
Shane, as Paul states the 2015 model has the vantage seat which is a necessity (health requirements ).

Paul, yes i am aware that the pimping is going to cost although i already have a lot of the required pimping items, however im sure i could easily spend another 1k + on extras, so i understand the benefits of buying secondhand and also new, it's a no brainer if i was starting from scratch, however as im now 99% equipped it makes it a hard decision. I have until the end of October to make my final decision, if they still have the 2017 model left, by then i might even change my mind again lol AI hmm lol it's nice to dream PA was also one i was considering it like mine heaps of room but bigger and heavier.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm