Where to Put Reflective Tape

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Where to Put Reflective Tape

Post by Reeling »

I bought 1m of reflective tape for added safety and was just wondering whether there would be a preference to whether I stick it on the bow or stern.

I was planning on 0.5m on each side but unsure if there would be a preferred position?
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Re: Where to Put Reflective Tape

Post by spider25160 »

I wrapped it around my flag pole which also has a light at the top. The best place to put it is where it is most likely to reflect light.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Paddle blades that gives you something to wave around if you want to get attention. kayak bodies can be very close to water and so not visible from any distance
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

spider25160 wrote:I wrapped it around my flag pole which also has a light at the top. The best place to put it is where it is most likely to reflect light.
I already have a light pole with a flag on wit which I carry at all times (whether I use my light or not).
laneends wrote:Paddle blades that gives you something to wave around if you want to get attention. kayak bodies can be very close to water and so not visible from any distance
Interesting to put it on the paddle blades. I would have thought that if/when I paddle, the force would make short work of the adhesive as theblades cut through the water?
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

I put some of the red/silver reflective tape on one of my paddles a couple of years ago, and it’s still going strong.. they are plastic blades
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Reeling wrote:
Interesting to put it on the paddle blades. I would have thought that if/when I paddle, the force would make short work of the adhesive as theblades cut through the water?
But you hardly paddle in a revo 13
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

With your setup I'd be putting a ring of reflective tape near the top of each of the rear rocket launchers. You need it up reasonably high where it will reflect the lights of an oncoming boat or spotlight. Don't put it on the front rod holders or it will blind you in a head torch beam.
0408 565 763
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

Paddle and Launchers it is.

Paddle for getting attention by waving it, launchers (with my flag/lightpole) for general attention :)

chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Good idea for the paddle, I have some spare tape so will do the same.