I've Joined the Revolution!

Show off your kayak!
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Re: I've Joined the Revolution!

Post by Reeling »

A bit of progress on rod holder solution. Between the rocket launchers and inbuilt rod holders, I'll have 6 rod holders.

The geartrack comes with a bit of flat bar with threaded holes to distribute the load when bolted to the yak. I have to say, it was a bit of a bitch to reach inside the yak where I mounted the track but pleased with the location.

I am yet to silicone and bolt it all up due to the bloody imperial sized bolts, but will do that this evening when I get the right size to torque it up nicely:

Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Reeling wrote:A bit of progress on rod holder solution. Between the rocket launchers and inbuilt rod holders, I'll have 6 rod holders.

The geartrack comes with a bit of flat bar with threaded holes to distribute the load when bolted to the yak. I have to say, it was a bit of a bitch to reach inside the yak where I mounted the track but pleased with the location.

I am yet to silicone and bolt it all up due to the bloody imperial sized bolts, but will do that this evening when I get the right size to torque it up nicely:

Drill from the top the holes and insert some heavy line through the holes into the hull, making sure its long enough to reach the hatch or thereabouts.

Feed the ends through the bottom plate and tie the line in the middle, then pull the end looped on the bracket outside to pull the mountig plate up to meet the pre drilled holes.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

bjspinner wrote:
Drill from the top the holes and insert some heavy line through the holes into the hull, making sure its long enough to reach the hatch or thereabouts.

Feed the ends through the bottom plate and tie the line in the middle, then pull the end looped on the bracket outside to pull the mountig plate up to meet the pre drilled holes.
That's exactly how I did it - after the wife suggested it...she's a keeper :)

p.s. also be careful that you don't straddle any internal cables or wires etc :)
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

How easy is it to get rods in and out of rear rocket holder, as they are pretty high up.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Are these rod holders used for fishing or just storage, i use a star port on my mounting rails however i only use my light rod in it as i don't think it would take the strain of a bigger fish.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

laneends wrote:How easy is it to get rods in and out of rear rocket holder, as they are pretty high up.
I haven't tested the exact locations yet Keith, but obviously there is adjusted in where in the track I place them - currently biasing the rear of the track. Also the exact angle I'll figure out with time on the water.
peatop wrote:Are these rod holders used for fishing or just storage, i use a star port on my mounting rails however i only use my light rod in it as i don't think it would take the strain of a bigger fish.
the immediate use will be storeage, but will try them out for at trolling some deep diver lures. There is some "wobble" in the gear head-to-track interface which is a little disappointing as I was hoping for a bit more rigidity but will see how it goes.

I too have a star-port railblaza fitting to go in the track which I will use for a light.

peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Unfortunately for me for trolling the only areas to have rods is in the very front and the rear holders, im still thinking about putting berkely quick strikes where the 2 star ports were, but it's a long reach from the seat and im also thinking about removing that bracket. I spend a lot of time thinking about how and then the pro's and con's, then do the mod, try it then remove it if not upto expectations, keep it if works, or modify further, it's been a slow process to date but im very happy with what I've done so far, rod's and rod holders are now my current project.
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

peatop wrote:Unfortunately for me for trolling the only areas to have rods is in the very front and the rear holders, im still thinking about putting berkely quick strikes where the 2 star ports were, but it's a long reach from the seat and im also thinking about removing that bracket. I spend a lot of time thinking about how and then the pro's and con's, then do the mod, try it then remove it if not upto expectations, keep it if works, or modify further, it's been a slow process to date but im very happy with what I've done so far, rod's and rod holders are now my current project.
Ye I have two Berkley QS up front which I use when bait fishing. It allows me to reach forward and grab them and also helps to keep the deck area clear.

I have another pair of holders between the QS's and my seat which I will run adjustable extensions to move the holder itself closer to me but also slightly outboard. Hoepfully far enough outboard that the butt will not interfere with my legs when peddling and I can troll effectively. Again, time on the water will tell...

Until now, I've just run the rocket launchers from these when trolling but will see how sturdy trolling is with the extensions.

laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

peatop wrote:Unfortunately for me for trolling the only areas to have rods is in the very front and the rear holders, im still thinking about putting berkely quick strikes where the 2 star ports were, but it's a long reach from the seat and im also thinking about removing that bracket. I spend a lot of time thinking about how and then the pro's and con's, then do the mod, try it then remove it if not upto expectations, keep it if works, or modify further, it's been a slow process to date but im very happy with what I've done so far, rod's and rod holders are now my current project.
Forward mounted holders whether quick sets or others are a nuisance for trolling on a paddle yak as they need to be so far forward to not impede paddling in any kind of vigorous way that they are hard to reach. Sometimes forward centrally mounted rocket launchers are used facing at an angle up and backwards over your shoulder can be a way of trolling. easy to see rod tips (compared to rear mounted rods) and easy to grab eg as promoted by Viking http://www.vikingkayak.com.au/kayaking+ ... r+trolling.

I use this method with the revo, but mount on gunwhale as i dont paddle when trolling. Very handy for rod rigging too.

What I would recommend for you Peter with that front cross piece is some scotty mounts which you then can either use scotty launchers rear facing for trolling, as per Viking vid, Then switch them out for forward facing berkley quick sets for bait soaking as berkleys fit in scotty mounts (not the other way round though)
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

laneends wrote:
Forward mounted holders whether quick sets or others are a nuisance for trolling on a paddle yak as they need to be so far forward to not impede paddling in any kind of vigorous way that they are hard to reach. Sometimes forward centrally mounted rocket launchers are used facing at an angle up and backwards over your shoulder can be a way of trolling. easy to see rod tips (compared to rear mounted rods) and easy to grab eg as promoted by Viking http://www.vikingkayak.com.au/kayaking+ ... r+trolling.

I use this method with the revo, but mount on gunwhale as i dont paddle when trolling. Very handy for rod rigging too.

What I would recommend for you Peter with that front cross piece is some scotty mounts which you then can either use scotty launchers rear facing for trolling, as per Viking vid, Then switch them out for forward facing berkley quick sets for bait soaking as berkleys fit in scotty mounts (not the other way round though)
Awesome Keith, tyvm will head out to the shed soon and check to see if it will work on my current setup ;) i only see one problem lol not enough star mounts to go around yet, the scotty mounts sound good but for the fact, do you loose the locking on the mount?