laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Bought Something new wanna share it? Post it here

Post by laneends »

Seasherpa wrote:
laneends wrote:
Reeling wrote:
My old man always used to warm me about the dangers of glass getting in your lungs....It would appear that it can also get into you veins too
and your bank account
Glass is cheaper than plastic these days Keith, for example looking at workhorse/all rounder models:
Hobie Outback- $3590
Native Slayer- $3500
Stealth Fisha - $3095
Except for when you have both :D
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Reeling wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
laneends wrote:seems to be contagious
yes Keith just a warning for you dont paddle one or you will trade that tupperware in
I dont really ever paddle my revo (due to the poor position of the sounder) but tempted to "just have a go" at one of Eoin's Glass one's
You are only down the street mate, swing by and grab one whenever.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Seasherpa wrote:
I know I know!!! I'm heading back to UK for surprise Christmas from next weekend so will have to be in the NY now.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Reeling wrote:
Seasherpa wrote:
I know I know!!! I'm heading back to UK for surprise Christmas from next weekend so will have to be in the NY now.
They'll all be down on the beach at NSC anyway you can always grab on then.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Thanks again Eoin. I will be there all weekend so if the weather is good and I dont get chance beforehand that may be a great time to give one a go.

Well I lost an office bake off today so I went and sulked out at Hooked on Bait and tackle and after trying a couple of reels for the NSC I walked away with one of these:

Recommended 30lb braid and managed to get over 500m on by all accounts, so hopefully wont get spooled should I get some luck at NSC
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Reeling wrote:Thanks again Eoin. I will be there all weekend so if the weather is good and I dont get chance beforehand that may be a great time to give one a go.

Well I lost an office bake off today so I went and sulked out at Hooked on Bait and tackle and after trying a couple of reels for the NSC I walked away with one of these:

Recommended 30lb braid and managed to get over 500m on by all accounts, so hopefully wont get spooled should I get some luck at NSC
Be interested in your review of that reel once you get out to use it. I picked up a pair of Trions last week delivered to the door for under $100 all up(sale + vouchers). They are my first Pflugers and I'm yet to get them wet but they seem like great little reels for the money. They are spooled and ready to go, i just need to find the time to get back up to Tyers now.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I had a look at the Amazon launch but didn't find to much of immediate interest. The one thing I did order was a GoPro Session4 camera for $189. This is quite a bit cheaper than current local offerings and I wanted to upgrade my head cam to 1080P. These are waterproof without the case, pick up decent audio and small and light enough for what I need. It also arrived within 2 days. :up: Now I just need to film something again that's worth editing and posting. :roll:
0408 565 763
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Looking faward to watching some more of your adventures Shane
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

shane wrote:I had a look at the Amazon launch but didn't find to much of immediate interest. The one thing I did order was a GoPro Session4 camera for $189. This is quite a bit cheaper than current local offerings and I wanted to upgrade my head cam to 1080P. These are waterproof without the case, pick up decent audio and small and light enough for what I need. It also arrived within 2 days. :up: Now I just need to film something again that's worth editing and posting. :roll:
I was honestly a little surprised at how uninspiring the local Amazon launch was; I had thought they would have a lot more 'sold by Amazon' products (which are the ones that they can really shaft other sellers with). I suspect they will ramp up their local warehouse offerings as time goes by based on sales (see below).

The following is a bit of a rant from someone who works in the industry and knows more then he'd like about Amazon's hidden face. Feel free to skip to the end if you're not particularly interested in how they work; I'll put a summary there.

For what it's worth I work with a US e-commerce company that sells in multiple marketplaces, including Amazon where we have about 50,000 products. I don't have a high opinion of Amazon (the face they present to the customer is staggeringly different to that they present to sellers).

One thing we see often is that Amazon will look to see how a product is selling and if it becomes particularly popular and they can purchase it themselves they will do so, usually taking the buybox in the process (hence 'ships from and sold by amazon.com'). This may sound like normal business (and it could be argued it is) but when you take into account that Amazon earns 15% (for most categories; I think it's 8% for cameras, drones, computers and the like) for each sale (including shipping) made by marketplace merchants this means basically if Amazon can buy the product at the same price (or less) than you can, you are already at a 15% disadvantage over them. Additionally if you are using their warehouse ('FBA') you also pay them fees for that as well.

The first company to list a particular product has to provide the data to set it up (description, images, barcode, metadata etc etc) so basically that work is done by the seller for Amazon; it costs them nothing. Amazon can then take over the listing and sell the product itself at any time if it wants. So for products that become popular in Australia, they can just wait and see what is most profitable for them and then effectively kick the local sellers off the listing by undercutting them or just forcing Amazon's offering to win the buybox (they aren't physically kicked off, but if a seller doesn't get the buybox most people won't buy from them).

On the plus side unless they can score a really good deal on the product they don't get a lot of advantage by undercutting a seller because they get 15% anyhow, so it's a "win/win" for them.

Combine this with the fact they leased a fleet of jets last year (6 or 7 I think) giving them the ability to ship literally planeloads of goods to international warehouses overnight and they have a pretty sharp edge over local sellers in cases where they can purchase the goods at equal or lower prices (and with most products being made overseas, that's "most of the time").

Put simply one of their strategies is to allow other sellers to build up a product's popularity (taking a large cut in the meantime) and if/when it suits them stepping in and selling the product themselves. I'm not saying this is wrong, just that it's how the marketplace works.

Summary: lots of folks think Amazon appearing locally is a good thing as it will shake up complacent local retailers. This is partly true, but the complacent ones are generally the bigger ones who already have plenty of bricks-and-mortar exposure. It's not nearly as good a thing for smaller online businesses who, often (but not always), do a decent job of competing with the larger sellers because they simply have to in order to survive. Most sales through Amazon will funnel 15% of profit that would have otherwise stayed here into Amazon's pockets (hence offshore). In terms of employment, I can't say how it will work here but in the US they are famous for how badly their workers are treated.
Lvyakker
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie revo 13

Post by Lvyakker »

Reeling wrote:Thanks again Eoin. I will be there all weekend so if the weather is good and I dont get chance beforehand that may be a great time to give one a go.

I have a 5000 size salt (old version) that I've had for about 8-9 years. Apart from a bit of a whining noise when turning the handle (needs a grease again) its runs as smooth as the day I bought it, this includes taking a dunk for about 45 seconds at one stage and a constant barrage of sand. They are slightly heavier and even though they have a relatively nice gear ratio for what they're worth, I feel like they are a little slow still (spool size maybe).
I haven't cranked the drag up on something big with it to see how it goes there but from past and present experience I say good choice reeling and most of the negatives won't really affect you in NSC unless you plan on a lot of casting and what not.