Quick blat in the AI

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
The Fishin' Musician
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Blatmobile

Quick blat in the AI

Post by The Fishin' Musician »

Took the new boat for a quick sail this morning on the local lake,
no fishing, just wanted to sail her in some cold, wet & windy conditions to see how she goes (really :) )

Verdict: She goes good!

wind approx 15 knots, air temp 10deg

i didn't manage to get any of the really fast bits, i'm still too busy hanging on!

enjoy!
"There is nothing like starting the day with a dose of gastro & a morning in a shed full of whippets" Anon moe bloke.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Re: Quick blat in the AI

Post by ELM »

Great stuff TFM, just as well it was a slow red one and not a super fast yellow one, yellow one's go that fast you would have probably pitch poled when the submerging started :lol: .

All joke's aside, when running down wind you can S#!^ your weight back a little by sitting on the rear cross brace, will help the submarine rise rather than dive, down fall, it lowers the stern and water gets in through the rudder cables. Probably the first mod I would do, is remove the spare plastic shear bolt out of the aka brace, attach a cord through there instead and put the bolt in your spares kit inside the hull somewhere or inside your seat pocket so it is easy to get at. It's not something that breaks easy but if it does and it doesn't have a leash, it will sink straight away, also get some spare rudder pins and carry them on board, the newer gray ones are a lot stronger but it pays to be ready. I check mine regular and have not had one break on the water for a long time, mind you a few were so badly deformed I had to cut them off to get them out.

Anyway cobber, get out there and enjoy (I know you will ;) ) they are a great craft and it will open up a whole new world of opportunity for you :thumbsup: .

PS also loved the tune, not sure about soggy carpet but it is a magic ride :yahoo: .
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

Awesome!! I want one :bananaman:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

Rhino wrote:
ELM wrote:................. when running down wind you can S#!^ your weight back a little by sitting on the rear cross brace....... .
:laughing1:
:oops: "shift" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: it may help as well :roll:
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,

Cheers
Eddie

The Fishin' Musician
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Blatmobile

Post by The Fishin' Musician »

Thanks guys,
Sorry for stealing your track Rhino, it was too good not to use, dunno how you select yours, but i cut the movie first then scrolled through my music sorted by track length & found something close to the right length that worked.

Elm, thanks for the tips, i'l be sure to grab that pin out before i go out next, already got a rudder pin in the center hatch, but i can see the benifit of having more than one. i remember reading a mod for making the ama to aka attachment more secure but i cant remember where (possibly the hobie forum) it was double bungied or something?
As for SHITTING my weight back, i don't know how reducing the rear ballast is going to help :wtf: , but i see your point ;) , might end up with a cross brace seat mod in the future>

SDJ...........get one!
"There is nothing like starting the day with a dose of gastro & a morning in a shed full of whippets" Anon moe bloke.
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

Yes the original thread in regard to removing the bolt and adding a line was on the US Hobie forum (been around the traps since then) and worth doing. I tried bungie but changed it to some light cord instead, for me it seems better. As for shitting the weight, no mod needed, just swallow laxatives before you leave :lol: For shifting weight, I just move back and to the opposing side of the sail, sit on the aka between the brace and attachment pin, you can still reach the rudder easy enough (might need foot) and the rest is pretty much self explanatory.

It's also well worth (if you do not already know) learning how to sail it (without the pedals), making tacks into the wind etc, plenty of good info once again on the US Hobie forum and it will improve performance greatly.

Drop Hoit a PM when you get a chance as well, he was always keen for some trips out.

Cheers
Eddie

momunny
Square eyes
kayak: Yakless

Post by momunny »

Nice ride there TFM,

Very smooth and I want one for Christmas.... :yahoo: :yahoo: ...But I have been a bad boy.. :( . Saw a retired sailor trial one of the AI's in Inverloch and :shock: :shock: the thing flies especially with the winds in Inverloch.

Besides "shifting" your weight to the rear of the yak is Hobie making any future mods to the AI 201x models to help address that issue of the bow diving into the water with a reasonable tail wind?
Cheers,

Momunny
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

momunny wrote:Nice ride there TFM,

Very smooth and I want one for Christmas.... :yahoo: :yahoo: ...But I have been a bad boy.. :( . Saw a retired sailor trial one of the AI's in Inverloch and :shock: :shock: the thing flies especially with the winds in Inverloch.

Besides "shifting" your weight to the rear of the yak is Hobie making any future mods to the AI 201x models to help address that issue of the bow diving into the water with a reasonable tail wind?
Not from what I have read, as it does what it is designed to do, "punch through waves" not bounce and splash over. If they were seriously thinking about changing it, we would have seen it in the tandem bow design which is still very similar to the AI. Personally I wouldn't like to see it change to much, maybe just a small amount of up lift once it reached a certain point, but mostly I like the way it cuts through and believe it is fastest that way. Revo's have a slightly different bow that creates lift over the waves, when pedaling next to them with the Adventure the Revo's appear to stall as they hit the wave's face while the Adventure cuts and moves through slightly easier maintaining more pace.

Cheers
Eddie