G'day from St Leonards!

New? Say G'Day here!
Jockfish
kayak: Hobie pro angler 12

G'day from St Leonards!

Post by Jockfish »

Hi guys,
Have bought a PA 12 as a fishing platform and have been out a few times around the Bellarine. I also intend to use it for trout fishing. Thought I'd join up to get advice and tips from the experienced. I'm used to kayaking a lot in sit ins (Pittaraks, storms etc). First boat I've bought for fishing. I agree with a few comments I've seen saying its a bit of a barge but it does actually track better than I thought with the skeg down.
I'd appreciate any advice regarding fishing with plastics lures for snapper/ flatties/ whiting as prior to this I've either lure fished or fly fished from the shore for trout.
Also I'd like to know if its worth fitting an anchor for use in the bay or not?

Thanks in advance!

John
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Re: G'day from St Leonards!

Post by Franko »

Welcome John, great part of the world you are from.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Jockfish wrote:Hi guys,
Have bought a PA 12 as a fishing platform and have been out a few times around the Bellarine. I also intend to use it for trout fishing. Thought I'd join up to get advice and tips from the experienced. I'm used to kayaking a lot in sit ins (Pittaraks, storms etc). First boat I've bought for fishing. I agree with a few comments I've seen saying its a bit of a barge but it does actually track better than I thought with the skeg down.
I'd appreciate any advice regarding fishing with plastics lures for snapper/ flatties/ whiting as prior to this I've either lure fished or fly fished from the shore for trout.
Also I'd like to know if its worth fitting an anchor for use in the bay or not?

Thanks in advance!

John
Hi John,
I'm a new member myself, first time yak fishing was yesterday using sp's at swan bay using the berkely worm color pumkinseed, cought heaps of king george although not to many of good size, I read that the blood worm was best for whiting and anything pumkinseed was also good for flatties as well.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Welcome John. Plenty to learn and explore and sounds like you're in an ideal location with a decent platform to do it from. I would recommend and anchor system. With a PA you can put an anchor trolley on or just hang a 1.5kg grapnel through the rear handle and attach a cleat near the seat. Anchoring is most useful for bait fishing but can also be a safety measure if caught out. If fishing plastics you will want a drift chute for when it's windy and an anchor trolley can help with positioning the chute to give the right drift angle.
0408 565 763
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

2nd what Shane said. Anchor is a very important safety measure. Ability to anchor and hold and ride out strong winds if required, Often the wind will only kick up for an hour or so and ability to hold position is a must.

I hardly use the drift chute however it does help you keep the best angle.

Well you are probably aware you are in the whiting capital of Victoria. Gee. If I lived there my Mrs would never see me.