Going To The Footy On Saturday!

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Going To The Footy On Saturday!

Post by Digger »

We're going to the footy on Saturday...In Melbourne at the MCG, the holy mecca for Australian Rules football!

One of our son's best friends Bill is a multi millionaire property developer and he has a corporate box at the MCG. Costs squillions to lease one of those but Bill uses it to entertain people important to his business, people who can smooth the way of his huge development projects, politicians and such.

Chris who was having his weekly talk to Bill mentioned that "Dad has never been to a football game at the MCG" and Bill immediately said, well bring him to my box, I'll even put on catering!! Get them to bring other family members, I'll get you 10 tickets. Now the catering is a few thousand and is apparently incredible (no breakfast that day!!) and this is a really generous offer by Bill when he has so many other things to think of.

Bill lived around the corner from us when out boys were in their early teens and Chris and he became lifelong mates, in fact I think he was at our house more than his own! Most of his holidays he had growing up were with us and I suppose he sees this as a little bit of giving back to people who were important in his life.

So we've booked a flash apartment a few minutes walk from the ground and will go up to Melbourne on the early train and come back on one on Sunday. We have 4 hours up there before the game so we may go to the National Art Gallery and have a look at the Van Gough exhibition while we are there.

The game being played is between our team Collingwood and and Port Adelaide and we might actually have a chance of winning???? Either way I expect it will be a great experience.

Lucky us!
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Going To The Footy On Saturday!

Post by Seasherpa »

Enjoy Dig, sounds like a great way to spend a day. :thumbsup:
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

Enjoy the footy Digger. Ofcourse. the real game is on the Sunday, Carlton v Richmond, with the blues to take the points.
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

enjoy the weekend Digger :D , been to numerous box events through work situations,you will like the pampering :lol:
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Thanks fellas it should be good!
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobbie Outback

Post by aussieDave »

Nice Digger,

I've been in corporate boxes before and they are very luxurious although I'd always rather sit close to the action (my Adelaide Oval tickets are centre wing, third row), the atmosphere is better.

Also Carn the Pies... (OMG I don't believe I just wrote that).

Have a great day at the hallowed ground!

Dave
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

aussieDave wrote:Nice Digger,

I've been in corporate boxes before and they are very luxurious although I'd always rather sit close to the action (my Adelaide Oval tickets are centre wing, third row), the atmosphere is better.

Dave
Thanks Dave and you must be as silly as me admitting that here...Grin~
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobbie Outback

Post by aussieDave »

Digger wrote:
aussieDave wrote:Nice Digger,

Dave
Thanks Dave and you must be as silly as me admitting that here...Grin~
I have no love for the Pies though mate, in fact they are my least favourite Vic team, Hawks maybe just as unlikable.

It's more that I don't want the Power to win.
To be the best of the two SA teams for the year ranks higher than a minor premiership but lower than the premiership itself.
Port fans can be such w---kers when they are winning.

Dave
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Enjoy Dig,
I've done the corporate box thing and it is awesome!
Enjoy the experience, don't eat beforehand and make sure your able to stagger home after the beers.
Only issue as pointed out is being able to see the game, its a long way from the action. :thumbsup:

Can't bring myself to say carn the pies mate... sorry.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Widsa wrote:Enjoy Dig,
I've done the corporate box thing and it is awesome!
Enjoy the experience, don't eat beforehand and make sure your able to stagger home after the beers.
Only issue as pointed out is being able to see the game, its a long way from the action. :thumbsup:

Can't bring myself to say carn the pies mate... sorry.
I guess someone has to support Collingwood and to be honest all my bloody family do and they are fanatical! Gave in to the pressure after years of it all around me.

Thanks Will we are both looking forward to the experience other than waiting for a train at Bairnsdale station @ 0630 in the morning as we hit 1 degree here overnight!!

I have to eat something before we get there (diabetes) but believe me I'll still give it a really go go if the food is as good as it's reputed to be.

As for the grog, he says wistfully, I gave up drinking about 12 months ago so it will be water for me I'm afraid. Damn that was a rash move~