Help and advise about offshore Yak Fishing needed.

General offshore yakking discussion.
Mahimahi
kayak: Hobie pro angler 14

Re: Help and advise about offshore Yak Fishing needed.

Post by Mahimahi »

So my mind is "drifting" in all directions at the moment.

Guys in your opinion does any of these yaks/ skis (Ocean Kayak Prowler, Hobie Revolution, stealt profish 525 ski) have the same carying of stuff capabilities as the yaks that I mentioned in my 1st post ?

What I mean is can I carry a gaf, a net, 5-10 liters of burley, 3-6 rods, eski or storage for fish up to 75cm (maybe chopped in 2 to fit), food, spare line and gear like sinkers, hooks, lures, battery, fishfinder , maybe spare jacket or a change of clothes in case I get wet in winter?

How do these 3 most recommended boats perform when anchored in estuary?

Cause I would like to get offshore; however roughly 70% of my fishing will be inshore and some lake fishing; so the option to anchor is important.

And even if I am foreseeing that I will carry a lot of stuff; quite possibly in the future I will reduce the list to make it more practical, but as I do not know what exactly will be enough I'd like to keep the option to carry all the stuff open.

Does anyone recommend a particular store /stores where I can take the prowler , revolution or profish 525 for a paddle. Maybe rent for a day or 2hrs? I know it is gonna be more than store cause I cant possibly be lucky enough to find one shop that stocks all 3.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

You have been well advised already!
As others mentioned secondary stability is king for offshore stuff.
Paddle vs pedal is personal preference, in pedal I'd look at the revo 13 or revo 16.
In paddle plastic for me it would be a Prowler or a Viking reload
In glass I'd probably put you in a Fisha not a Profisha model as the fish hatch is bigger and it is more comfortable at anchor.
Not sure if you can test run a Prowler, but the hobie dealers do demo days and I can put you in a Stealth.
I also have an ex-demo Fisha at the moment that may be of interest:
https://seasherpa.com.au/usedspecials/e ... fisha-500/
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Mahimahi wrote:
Guys in your opinion does any of these yaks/ skis (Ocean Kayak Prowler, Hobie Revolution, stealt profish 525 ski) have the same carying of stuff capabilities as the yaks that I mentioned in my 1st post ?

What I mean is can I carry a gaf, a net, 5-10 liters of burley, 3-6 rods, eski or storage for fish up to 75cm (maybe chopped in 2 to fit), food, spare line and gear like sinkers, hooks, lures, battery, fishfinder , maybe spare jacket or a change of clothes in case I get wet in winter?

How do these 3 most recommended boats perform when anchored in estuary?

Cause I would like to get offshore; however roughly 70% of my fishing will be inshore and some lake fishing; so the option to anchor is important.

And even if I am foreseeing that I will carry a lot of stuff; quite possibly in the future I will reduce the list to make it more practical, but as I do not know what exactly will be enough I'd like to keep the option to carry all the stuff open.
Ok first the Prowler I've had a 145 cm gummy in the std off the shelf Prowler esky ( fish box ) no problem although I did transport Shanes 135 Cm Wahoo back to the beach and his 108 cm Cobia last year - the Wahoo had it's tail hanging out as they dont flex that well to bend it in

it has a load range of 195 kg so take your weight off that and that the amount of tackle or catch you can carry

it also sits mint at anchor as I done most of my fishing with that in Westernport it sit well in tide flows

I also take 4 or 5 rods with me as well as tackle and bait

I have anchored with the stealth 525 and have no problem with that ether however the prowler is more comfortable at anchor - the stealth is better to paddle

as for the stealth Eoin the seasherpa man can put you straight on there models the 525 also has a max weight of 195 Kg and I think the fisha 500 is 205 kg
both have room for some long fish in the fish box

Viking kayaks also have a std esky that fits the rear hatch not sure how big but being another NZ designed boat I bet it will have some room
Seasherpa wrote: In glass I'd put you in a Fisha not a Profisha model as the fish hatch is bigger and it is more comfortable at anchor.
Not sure if you can test run a Prowler, but the hobie dealers do demo days and I can put you in a Stealth.
one thing you that is worth thinking on that is the less you take the less you have to paddle/pedal around - If you start doing 20 -30 km in a day every kg is a lot of work to move even a few grams lighter paddle makes a difference

I don't think there are any shops where you can test the Prowler these days - not sure where you can test the Viking reload ether

as for the hobie fish storage isn't there strong suit I'm sure the guys can tell you where they store there catch
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

cheaterparts wrote:
as for the hobie fish storage isn't there strong suit I'm sure the guys can tell you where they store there catch
Front hatch is easily accessible in all models except adventure and revo 16. You can store a good size fish in there, especially if you dont use an insert bucket. Although front hatch is accessible on adventure & revo 16, it is not as easy and needs reasonable conditions, good sense of balance and confidence to do so. Thats where I put my gummies. I use a large soft wall cooler with top removed and line underside of hatch lid. With a cooler block or too it remains remarkably cool.

Best learn to kayak first and think about offshore later when you have more experience. To this end it is worth looking at say a secondhand revo 13, untill you work out whats best for you. Most of the styles are chalk and cheese and its hard to say upfront what would suit you best.

ps dont cut fish in half to store, most have to be kept whole
Mahimahi

Post by Mahimahi »

Thanks guys thats a lot of important stuff I gotta take stock of.

Im starting to have the notion that on these offshore capable yaks it is difficult for one to reach the front hatch and take stuff out of it.

And maybe the rear well can only be accessed by twisting the upper body and reach back; one cannot properly turn around and face the back well properly, kinda like kneeling on the seat or on the hull facing back.

If that is correct it will be quite difficult to have stuff like a 10litre burley bucket or a small live bait bucket unless one keeps the stuff that he continuosly uses in between his legs while he's fishing.

Do you guys mind if I ask what do you use the front hatch for?

And where do you keep things you need handy at all times? I.e pliers, knife, bait, tackle box ?

That's a good point about cutting the fish in 2. I forgot Im not to do that. I never had to. Only considered it recently while planning how to carry a big fish in a kayak.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

When I had plastics to access a front hatch I'd straddle the kayak with a leg each side and shimmy upwards. To access the back well you can sit side saddle and dangle both your legs over the same side. You can do the same to access the day hatch on a ski, it's easier than it looks.
As cheater pointed out the fish hatch on a Stealth will hold big fish as well as you burley bucket anchor set-up etc. As for pliers and tools I store mine under a bungy on the hatch lid. Food and tackle go in the day hatch.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I store bulk of tackle in hull of the hobie via center hatch, I dont use a gear bucket so have whole centre section (blocked off internally) to store stuff.

By the time you are ready to go offshore you will be confident with your balance to access stuff from behind.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Mahimahi wrote:Thanks guys thats a lot of important stuff I gotta take stock of.

Im starting to have the notion that on these offshore capable yaks it is difficult for one to reach the front hatch and take stuff out of it.

And maybe the rear well can only be accessed by twisting the upper body and reach back; one cannot properly turn around and face the back well properly, kinda like kneeling on the seat or on the hull facing back.

If that is correct it will be quite difficult to have stuff like a 10litre burley bucket or a small live bait bucket unless one keeps the stuff that he continuosly uses in between his legs while he's fishing.

Do you guys mind if I ask what do you use the front hatch for?

And where do you keep things you need handy at all times? I.e pliers, knife, bait, tackle box ?

That's a good point about cutting the fish in 2. I forgot Im not to do that. I never had to. Only considered it recently while planning how to carry a big fish in a kayak.

this black lid is the top of my tackle area it's sealed from the hull and takes a S#!^ load of gear being just in front of me it's stupidly simple to access

fish bait and anything else that need to stay cool goes in here - its a meter long and just sit side saddle to get stuff in and out

while I could access the front hatch I normally just put my kayak trolly in there when I launch and theres no need to get it out till back on land

and of cause the stealth has the fish box in front of the diver it can take 4 - 7 foot rods inside or fish to about 6 feet sitting side saddle on these is easy to in fact you can turn right round and fish off the back
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Mahimahi

Post by Mahimahi »

Thanks guys,

You are doing it with these yaks so I guess I will be right if I follow behind what you are doing.

Il try one of the yaks on Monday weather permitting and take a feel of it.

The yaks and canoes I tried are different in design so when Il try this yak on monday I will have a better understanding.

Things will start too look clear soon and by today week I should know what I want.

Thanks again
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

Welcome Christian, first off, you got the best advice that you will get anywhere from a great bunch of guys and seriously good fisherman :D
While one kayak wont do every thing, and it is best to have a couple that suits the different applications.
When first starting out, it is hard to know what to get, and sometimes the direction you start in goes to a different direction.
l started out on a Hobie pa 14, thinking that a lot of bream comps and local bay fishing would be the main stay of my fishing,but after doing a few offshore trips, l found that l loved it, and the bays do get quite rough.
Just sold the PA, a great boat with a lot of storage, wanted a AI,probably get one later, but found a good compromise in a Hobie revo 13, which will suit my needs for now, the reverse is also handy fishing around the trees in places like Eildon.
l think your best option is to buy a used yak so if you decide to head in a certain direction, you wont lose much if any $ on resale later, you may even not enjoy kayaking. :o
Just my 5 cents worth :evilgrin:
Good luck :wave1: