DIY Livewells

Show off your DIY project!
deano
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA

DIY Livewells

Post by deano »

Looking at making a bream livewell, has anyone got any advice or recommendations on a setup?
Thanks.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: DIY Livewells

Post by maverick »

I just stuck a $20 (single D cell) aerator I bought from BCF into my 30l esky and it keeps the bream alive. I think I got 2 days out of it at the Bream comp on one battery. Helps if you also change the water occasionally. I don't do a lot of live fish fishing so I didn't go to the expense (or weight) of a proper livewell.

cheers
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Hi Deano, they are a bit expensive but i reckon if your serious about your breaming, go the Hobie livewell approx $400. By the time you buy an esky, an aerator and a battery, plus brackets and the mucking around to fit it neat, you will be up around $200 anyway. The Hobie well just fits so nice and neat.
But as Mav said any tub (if your doing the ABT'S must be 25ltr min) and fit an aerator and youll be sweet, those bream are pretty tough little suckers if you change the water regularly.
Cheers Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
brettrobo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by brettrobo »

ive been playing with this option also but instead due to wanting to keep inkers i need circulating water instead of just aerator.
the other thing is the temp of the water rises with only the aerator where as a cycle of water would keep a constant temp
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

brettrobo wrote:the other thing is the temp of the water rises with only the aerator where as a cycle of water would keep a constant temp
Very true, but it comes back to the expense I think and what you are hoping to achieve out of yak fishing. I change the water with a cut down OJ container and if it is really hot I take small freezer blocks out with me. I actually take freezer blocks even if I don't plan to keep fish alive.

Sat. at Safety Beach will be an opportunity to get some ideas, hopefully a few guys will bring their livewells.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.