New to yaks

New? Say G'Day here!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: New to yaks

Post by laneends »

Actually when you are out there and lok back at shore you think 'not far'. Then when back on shore and you back towards the marker/otherboats you were near you think 'wow thats a loong way out". At times coming back I have past boats that I thought were close in. Then back at shore those boats seem to be out on the horizon. Which means you might be able to se the shore easily but from shore you would be near invisible.

Which leads to a good reason for having a big hi viz flag. You can launch with 10 other yaks and within half an hour you can only still see three of them. :o
hsv2ko
kayak: seak mako

Post by hsv2ko »

I really appreciate the help guys. I think for time being still fresh water for me lol till I get myself well used to the yak. I most likely will be out with a mate first in bay the way I see it no fish is worth a life. I am still getting my head around PFD's coz the bloke at anaconda sold me a lvl 100 jacket and I doubt I needed that for bay but they way I see it rather safe than sorry. :)
http://www.anacondastores.com/boating/l ... BP90048716
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

hsv2ko wrote:I really appreciate the help guys. I think for time being still fresh water for me lol till I get myself well used to the yak. I most likely will be out with a mate first in bay the way I see it no fish is worth a life. I am still getting my head around PFD's coz the bloke at anaconda sold me a lvl 100 jacket and I doubt I needed that for bay but they way I see it rather safe than sorry. :)
http://www.anacondastores.com/boating/l ... BP90048716
Really need a paddling pfd as they give more movement to the arms, shorter and bigger arm holes.

eg http://www.anacondastores.com/boating/l ... BP90035194
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Depending on the weather maybe you should consider coming to coronet bay for the comp. Lots of yaks on the water there. You could let it be known that it's your first day and while people might not fish with you the whole time they'd definitely keep an eye out.

Miller's road Altona would be my other recommendation on a nice day. We can help with finding a good looking weather day
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

FishnDive wrote:
hammertym wrote:
laneends wrote:Should be ok for moderate bay conditions, you will acclimatize quickly and end up further out than you intened fairly quickly
second this

items always are further away than they appear across water, land, boats, snapper tuna
Container ships...
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.