Extra Boyancy - Pool Noodles + Safety gear carried.

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Extra Boyancy - Pool Noodles + Safety gear carried.

Post by cheaterparts »

cheaterparts wrote:
Ian you could do the same as me for that one -- I tied a piece of bungy beteewn the 2 front fitting that clip your rope handles on much like the stealth use for there paddle keep
with your paddle in 2 pieces tape them together ( fit a paddle leash ) and I just shove the paddle blades under the bungy and tie the handle ends to a rod holder

hope the pic helps -- the handle ends just fit under the crossed bungy and it stays in place and is easy to access if ever needed - the bonus is it's clear of your fishing area
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

cheaterparts wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
Ian you could do the same as me for that one -- I tied a piece of bungy beteewn the 2 front fitting that clip your rope handles on much like the stealth use for there paddle keep
with your paddle in 2 pieces tape them together ( fit a paddle leash ) and I just shove the paddle blades under the bungy and tie the handle ends to a rod holder

hope the pic helps -- the handle ends just fit under the crossed bungy and it stays in place and is easy to access if ever needed - the bonus is it's clear of your fishing area
Thanks for that, I'll see if I can rig up something similar with mine. It might be a bit complicated in my situation because I have a fish bag that sits on the bow so the paddles would have to fit under that unless I can invent some way of lashing them securely to the top of the bag.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

4liters wrote: It might be a bit complicated in my situation because I have a fish bag that sits on the bow so the paddles would have to fit under that unless I can invent some way of lashing them securely to the top of the bag.

Is there a paddle keep on both sides of your yak? Maybe you could use the one on the anchor trolley side for offshore because you won't be anchoring.
Just an idea.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

FishnDive wrote:
4liters wrote: It might be a bit complicated in my situation because I have a fish bag that sits on the bow so the paddles would have to fit under that unless I can invent some way of lashing them securely to the top of the bag.

Is there a paddle keep on both sides of your yak? Maybe you could use the one on the anchor trolley side for offshore because you won't be anchoring.
Just an idea.
There's a thought, I do have one but I've never used it because of the anchor. I might have a crack at something like Cheater's set up first because it wouldn't hurt to have a spare paddle for fishing in the bays, but if that doesn't work out at least I'll have the other paddle keep as an option for offshore.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

I thought I had explained, and the pics would show that the noodles are cut to size and are "fitted" they will not move. I would never use plastic bottles, bloody silly really, as has been pointed out...first sign of an overturn and they end up on one side or worse still, one end then you are in deep sh#t.

Yes I do plan to flood the thing, and no it will not be bending out of shape 'cos it will be done in the water. First off I expect the front hatch to leak, if that fails to flood the yak we will make a decision when it is righted whether to clamber aboard or pump it out first.... and all that depends on how the boyancy behaves, if that goes pare shaped we will decide what to do next. To pump it out I should only have to tread water for half an hour or so :lol: as it wont take long at all to move 40 odd litres of seawater at 350ml per stroke of the pump, hope the water is warm :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and what I miss with the pump I will get with the bailing bucket :lol:
Whatever happens I will not be trying to lift, with or without help unless its substantially free of water inside.

This event is going to need some planning and support, I am not in my 20's any more but I do need to find my limitations, it is not going to be allowed to go wrong.........I hope!!
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Might want to inform water police what you are doing in case some bystander calls 000 thinking you are in trouble
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

laneends wrote:Might want to inform water police what you are doing in case some bystander calls 000 thinking you are in trouble
Thanks yes that is coveted, and the local station too, often communication between them is not that good. Plus I will also check if the lifeguards are on duty at Altona before hand.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...