Willy Weather - the dear departed

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Re: Willy Weather - the dear departed

Post by Steve_R »

This link looks like the same for 'palm PC' but it's not something I've tested
http://airtaxi.net/ctide/

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

A lot is forgiven. Willyweather have given back access to copy/paste. For most, that will not help because pasted data from a web page may not format the same way but for those who are able to manipulate data, it can be incredibly useful (a lot of my fishing diary completes itself, leaving me to write the 'fun').

Some quotes from the very friendly WW person who put up with my questions:
- Our MSLP chart is lacking, I will admit. The BoM do not allow us to use their chart, only the data they use for it - which means we can’t get the troughs etc. due to them being drawn manually by a meteorologist. We are working on it though.

- Wave height at the shore is tough. None of the big guys are doing it and some of the smaller guys claim they have it, but I don’t trust the data. This is something we would need the BoM to do first as we just don’t have the tech.

- Regarding your wind map image, I'm sorry I thought I had responded to you. We are working on what we're internally calling "V2 Maps" which will be like MetEye on steroids (assuming all goes to plan).

- We’re using the same wind data as you can find on MetEye (it is called the ADFD). We don’t touch this data except for on the coast, when we will actually take the wind forecast from slightly offshore (BoM tend to underestimate onshore winds).
Now we are able to compare live to predicted wind strength, I'm not sure how right they are about the last point but have to agree I prefer them to err on the side that is safer for us. Meanwhile, I plan to continue to rely on MSLP charts for final decision if heading onto the ocean.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Hi Steve, It's great that you have this link direct to WW going on. If you get the chance there are a couple of points/suggestions that I would like put to them:

- The phone app gives wind out to seven days and hourly wind data for the first 3 days but the new-web page is significantly dumbed down giving only 3 hourly wind and only out to 5 days. I would like to see the webb page data move to at least the same detail as the app.
- Other apps such as windfinder go out to 10 days so if they have access ton the data it would be great to be able to see it.
- The actual recorded wind overlay is the best thing about the new webb layout and it would be good if this found its way to the app as well.
- If they have MSLP data it would be great if they create a new graph tab that shows the predicted MSLP over coming days as a line graph similar to wind etc. For many fish such as snapper a rising barometer brings them on the chew and it would be great to be able to see when these conditions are forecast. I can't find anything currently that forecasts MSLP in this type of format.
- What you've been enquiring about waves would be a great addition. Meteye shows combined waves and swell so they will have access to the data and it would be great to have this in addition to the basic swell data they have now. This would include just wave data for inshore waters where they currently don't have swell data.
- The sun/moon/tide data allows you to track forward and back in time. It would be great if wind/swell etc allowed you to track back in time, even just a few days to review what conditions you had or forecast vs actual experience.
- If they have access to tide stream flow speeds it would be good to be able to view this.

Sorry to send this in your direction but I thought if you already have a good dialogue going that you may get further with these kind of suggestions. :oops:
0408 565 763
Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

Gee, thanks Shane!

I'll go one better. See the following thread

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21515

Better change my sig a bit first.

shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Thanks Steve, much appreciated. :up:
0408 565 763
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

shane wrote: - The phone app gives wind out to seven days and hourly wind data for the first 3 days but the new-web page is significantly dumbed down giving only 3 hourly wind and only out to 5 days. I would like to see the webb page data move to at least the same detail as the app.
I get this info on the webpage, If I switch to the 1 day or 3 day view of the wind it give hourly data for the first three days. In any of the 1 day, 3 day or 5 day views I can scroll across either by clicking an arrow that appears on the sides of the graph when hovering over it or by dragging across with the mouse to reveal additional days upto 7 days out.
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

AP-M wrote:
shane wrote: - The phone app gives wind out to seven days and hourly wind data for the first 3 days but the new-web page is significantly dumbed down giving only 3 hourly wind and only out to 5 days. I would like to see the webb page data move to at least the same detail as the app.
I get this info on the webpage, If I switch to the 1 day or 3 day view of the wind it give hourly data for the first three days. In any of the 1 day, 3 day or 5 day views I can scroll across either by clicking an arrow that appears on the sides of the graph when hovering over it or by dragging across with the mouse to reveal additional days upto 7 days out.
I've had another go and you're right. :up: I hadn't bothered much with the 1 or 3 day wind ranges but they do at least show hourly wind. I'd tried previously to get the day 6 and 7 data by hovering but never get an arrow appearing as you and hammertyme have described. I'd assumed it was a browser (Chrome) issue. But this time I went into the graphs view and found I could drag left to pan across and reveal the day 6 and 7 wind forecasts. But why not just make a 7 day view so it's obvious. :?
0408 565 763