Trailer Parking

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: Newbie Questions forum

Post by Hvalross »

I need some assistance please........and I guess its in two parts.

First, Have I made an error putting my Pro 12 on a trailer rather than car topping with respect to parking around Werribee, Altona and Williamstown.
Have I put myself in a position where I MUST park in trailer parking areas only. The trailer is a shortie and looks rather like a Jet Ski trailer really. I elected to go this way as I have a Rav4 , it does not have bars and I have to use a clip on....and an expensive gismo that sits on the to ball and makes sliding the yak onto the roof easier....Not having car topped in such a small car (did it years ago with my ol' Holden Panel Van) but this little Toyota does look as if it would take off with windage from the wind getting under the yak! It cost me enough to bet a boat drivers licence for my jaba, I don't want to have to get a Pilots Licence too :mrgreen:

Second part is where to park anyway......assuming pre daylight launch and return around 10am latest.

Thanks in advance for input

Andrew
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Some places are trailer friendly others not so. If wondering about a specific location post the question as some members have trailers and others don't, someone wil be able to advise on a case by case basis. At least a trailer will reduce your car rusting issues.

Altona not issues with kerb side parking, Willy probably have to unload and park in a side street. werribee South near estuary there is a boat trailer area, small beach nearer new marina no restriction but smallish area, no issues if launching early
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

laneends wrote:Some places are trailer friendly others not so. If wondering about a specific location post the question as some members have trailers and others don't, someone wil be able to advise on a case by case basis. At least a trailer will reduce your car rusting issues.

Altona not issues with kerb side parking, Willy probably have to unload and park in a side street. werribee South near estuary there is a boat trailer area, small beach nearer new marina no restriction but smallish area, no issues if launching early
Hey that was QUICK! thanks

I understand that casual parking at the Werribee ramp proper is $17, I did see an ' undeveloped area' further along via the formal car park, its small but looked ok
Googling Millers It looks like street parking with a fee thats OK by me but I was wondering if the Inspectors get toey about car+ trailer.
I still ave a house at Williamstown, bit far from the beach, I know I can get a residents permit but as yet have not explored what that gives me...... have not used one for 12 years whilst we have been up here at Woodend. For fishing the anchorage area the park near the Power Station looks possible...
Have not looked at the Marybernong area at all yet....there was some decent fishing there once upon a time!!

Cheers,

Andrew
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Trailer Parking

Post by laneends »

millers is free, werribee small beach next to marina is free, small drag up from beach.
willy coles st launch is free, though you may have to move trailer to side stree as esplanade parking is 90 degree, not sure if permit parking or not in side streets, esplanade isn't permits, Smish might know, I might check next time I'm there.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

laneends wrote:millers is free, werribee small beach next to marina is free, small drag up from beach.
willy coles st launch is free, though you may have to move trailer to side stree as esplanade parking is 90 degree, not sure if permit parking or not in side streets, esplanade isn't permits, Smish might know, I might check next time I'm there.
Thanks for that, I am going to visit with Mainline Marine in Willie this Wednesday they are refurbing my Jabba and it should be ready then...I will have a proper cruise around then 'cos I just got Thur and Fri off work next week so if all is good and the cold front not too nasty I may venture to the Parsons area and do a bit of plastic flick in' under the boats to see if there are any bream around. Was outside the Warmies two Sundays ago land based had a couple of Reddies looked to be in the 5-6kg..range, they were fresh caught, as there was still lots of chatter going on about it....had a contact that fished the area almost exclusively and he did ok......never know with Snapper
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Andrew if you got roof racks you can make your own side loader with power winch for under $200.
It's like the Rhino side load system and is slower than just lifting it onto the racks (like my Wavedance yaks), but at 50+Kg's on my PA14 I put up with the fiddle factor.
I'll take some picks soon to show what I did.
I'm also in the process of trying to make some type of cantelever system on my small Rio hatchback (which is lower than side loader car) so I can load it from the back and have a front support bar for the nose when driving.
There's always a way, it does cost a bit but if you can knock up something it's way cheaper (and personally for me more rewarding).
John 3.16/17
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

Yako wrote:Andrew if you got roof racks you can make your own side loader with power winch for under $200.
It's like the Rhino side load system and is slower than just lifting it onto the racks (like my Wavedance yaks), but at 50+Kg's on my PA14 I put up with the fiddle factor.
I'll take some picks soon to show what I did.
I'm also in the process of trying to make some type of cantelever system on my small Rio hatchback (which is lower than side loader car) so I can load it from the back and have a front support bar for the nose when driving.
There's always a way, it does cost a bit but if you can knock up something it's way cheaper (and personally for me more rewarding).
Look forward to seeing your pictures. Thanks for your response.

Andrew