Seven Gilla

A forum for member's kayak or fishing related videos
AverageJoe
Apprentice
kayak: ProAngler12

Re: Seven Gilla

Post by AverageJoe »

I definitely need a gaff, it would have been awesome to have landed it and watch it swim away!
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Nice one James,
In my personal opinion getting one up close on video is good enough.
I wouldn't want to bring one that big on board for the likely risk of it breaking stuff on the yak.
Unless of course you need to measure it for a comp or like eating flake every night for the rest of the year.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

vikodin wrote: In my personal opinion getting one up close on video is good enough.
I wouldn't want to bring one that big on board for the likely risk of it breaking stuff on the yak.
Unless of course you need to measure it for a comp or like eating flake every night for the rest of the year.
I actually agree with you Jaryd, my earlier post was partly in jest as its not advisable to bring one that size aboard. If you need to measure one its better to bring them into a beach, which is where a flying gaff can come in handy. It also allows you to get the hook out cleanly. I know the hooks is supposed to rust out but I've caught a couple of gillers with multiple hooks still stuck in their mouths and would prefer to remove them if I can. A gaff can help with this beside the yak along with a long hook removal tool.
0408 565 763
AverageJoe
Apprentice
kayak: ProAngler12

Post by AverageJoe »

Yea I totally agree it would be far to dangerous to bring a shark that size aboard,
And the flying gaff sounds like the ideal way to go about.
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

Haha I love the shark cloud!
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Nice one James! Loved the shark cloud at the end.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway