Importing a yak from South Africa

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Importing a yak from South Africa

Post by 4liters »

Has anyone had a kayak shipped over from SA before? Is it possible? Is it more cost effective than getting one locally? Just based on the exchange rate, nice yaks like the Dorado II are almost half what they cost here, so depending on how much shipping costs and how much of a hassle it is organise it might be worthwhile.

I'd be keen to hear other members' experiences.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Importing a yak from South Africa

Post by Seasherpa »

A couple of blokes on other forums have done it, Clarkskis were brought in recently (bulk order) and my yak was the first Stealth Evo in Australia brought in by the Mona Vale boys in a group of four before there were importers in QLD.
http://stealthykayakfishing.blogspot.co ... forms.html
Reports of similar ventures since the dealerships were set up proved more expensive than buying in QLD. There were a couple of threads on the old AKFF,but they may be gone now. I looked into it too and apparently the biggest issue is damage in transit so really you need a mate in SA to do the wrapping and preferably a wooden crate before it goes in the container for shipping. You could always contact the Clarkski importer in QLD, offer them some cash to see if you can piggy-back on their load as they are probably dealing with a known quantity in terms of shipping and would have the customs process down pat.
Last edited by Seasherpa on 16 Jun 2015, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
joffarob
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14 Dune

Post by joffarob »

I would think you would need to get a pretty good deal to bother trying to bring in just the 1

My guess on sea freight would be around $250 at both ends plus the cost of getting your clearance paperwork done. Be looking at $500 plus I would think. But certainly look into it.

Just be careful because if you email an overseas freight forwarder for a price they won't generally include the Australian freight charges that you have to pay once it arrives.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Cool, thanks. Sounds like more trouble than it is worth. Probably would be better to just wait for a clearance sale here or grab a decent yak second hand as per the original plan.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

4liters wrote:Cool, thanks. Sounds like more trouble than it is worth. Probably would be better to just wait for a clearance sale here or grab a decent yak second hand as per the original plan.
Having moved back from the UK to Australia, I can tell you Australian import is no joke, lots of hidden fees, they even have a container cleaning fee that they drop on random people
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Would be bugger for warranty claims..
JägerMarty
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015

Post by JägerMarty »

Just get a Hobie .... :idea: