a few questions after a recent trip

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

a few questions after a recent trip

Post by mazman »

Hi guys, Just got back from a trip to black rock and it has left me with near endless questions but for now I'll limit it to a few.
Do you find it more effective to drift or anchor when chasing pinkies on sps?
What speed do you troll berkley fs9's? I have read that a slow troll is best the only problem is i don't know a regular trolling speed. I have a speed readout on my sounder so if you can just give a rough speed to stick to in km/h, that would be awesome.
and finally where do you guys launch when fishing black rock/ricketts area and are there general areas that fish better round here? I ask this because I got stuck having to pay for a ticket to park at black rock, the launch itself was super easy but being an area i would like to frequen it's a bit steep to pay $15.

Thanks in advance for any help, Alex
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: a few questions after a recent trip

Post by Seasherpa »

1) I would be drifting unless you are holding over a school/dropoff/burley trail.
2) http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... nch#p71324 Lots more info if you do a search on Ricketts Point or the Tea House
3) I don't troll a heap but for me a slow troll is about 3.5kph. That's how fast I run tassies rapalas etc in the fresh. Big fish trolling is as fast as you can go 5-6kph if you can keep that pace. Often you can tell the right speed from the action of the rod tip/lure and changes in the action usually mean either the wrong speed or the lure has fouled.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

I never anchor when fishing plastics, makes it too hard to get the plastic down without too much weight.
As for trolling I watch the action of the rod tip to gauge how fast to travel
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

FishnDive wrote:1) I would be drifting unless you are holding over a school/dropoff/burley trail.
Ditto. Drift until you hit a school but dropping the anchor may scare them, so drift and then redrift. That said, if the wind is up, I drop an anchor. I'm yet to get a drift chute, its on the "too purchase" list
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

The Berkleys troll OK at around 4km/hr, faster is still OK for salmon/pike etc but snapper like it slower while still allowing the lure to work.
0408 565 763