Tim399's Terrapin XL (pic heavy)

Show off your kayak!
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Tim399's Terrapin XL (pic heavy)

Post by Tim399 »

So up until recently i hadnt seen anyone on here with the same kayak as mine.
Last year for my birthday and christmas my fiance baught me my first kayak (god bless her :) ) a Scorpio Terrapin XL.
After heading down to the shop, and the owner giving me a run down on the rudder, etc it went on top of my car and i took my new baby home :D
IMG_434.jpg
IMG_435.jpg
After getting the safety gear together i could start making it more 'my own' by making a few small changes. (I think everyone looks faward to this point :) )

I found the rod holders on the sides of the yak that came already installed were good for when your stationary, but the rod would really shorten my paddle stroke so i added in another 2 rod holders just faward of the entry of my paddle stroke. Then when i start a drift or i see bites i can stretch faward and grab out the rod without it being in my way. After checking about 10 times that it would work out i finally grew a pair and started drilling holes.

Next came the anchor trolley. I purchased a hobie kit online, which was fairly easy to install. I used s/s nuts and bolts where i could, then some tri-pop rivets and silicone where i couldnt reach inside the hull.
IMG_436.jpg
I had some rivets left over so i used them to fix a few eyelets to attatch lanyards to so i dont get tangled in them when moving rods/net/lipgrips etc
IMG_437.jpg
I also went with the flexible bucket inside the hatch idea, just to stop my first aid kit/food and drinks from getting lost in the hull

The console isnt actually fixed to the yak so to stop from losing it i put a nut bolt and washer through the strap that goes over it to make it permanantly fixed to the hull
IMG_441.jpg
Ive also made a safety flag. I used a pipe fitting from bcf (its white in the photo) which 20mm condute fits in nice and snug, then siliconed the bottom of the fitting and put a screw through it to stop it letting water in the hull.
IMG_440.jpg
IMG_439.jpg
My grandmother in law was lovely enough to sew the flag up for me and also made me this catch bag out of a couple of safeway cool bags
IMG_443.jpg
The latest addition is the fishfinder combo
I decided to go with a lawrence elite 4 hdi chirp
I baught a lawrence scupper mount, but the transducer just doesnt fit in the channels under the yak by a small margin, so i ended up going the in hull mount with some selleys all clear.
IMG_445.jpg

SEE NEXT PAGE TO CONTINUE
Attachments
IMG_446.jpg
Last edited by Tim399 on 15 Aug 2017, 22:14, edited 3 times in total.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Tim399's Terrapin XL (pic heavy)

Post by Seasherpa »

Nice work Tim :thumbsup:
Just a heads up that the parts in the DC connector you used for your sounder are not stainless. I used them in my first yak and the moisture inside the yak corroded it pretty quickly. When I replaced it I used silicone to fill the holes over the screw threads and also covered the end of the connector where the wires enter with silicone too. It was still going strong when I sold the yak and you probably have all clear left over from when you did your tranny install. Also you can get small dry pouches in the kayak section at BCF for about $10 I think they are called overboard brand. They will fit your blue battery and keep it dry in that hatch as they are not waterproof either.
Tim399
Lord of the fish

Post by Tim399 »

Cheers eoin, ill get into them with the all clear next time im reunited with my yak :) i guess the more watertight the better! Salt water can be a pain at times. Ill check out the dry pouches next time im at bcf too, couldnt hurt to have a couple around.. Also forgot to add, if anyone has any hints or tips, feel free to let me know, its all part of the learning process and what makes this group awesome :)

Tim
greggo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by greggo »

I'm liking your work Tim, good write-up.

A question...what sort of battery are you using?

Cheers, Greggo.
Tim399
Lord of the fish

Post by Tim399 »

greggo wrote:I'm liking your work Tim, good write-up.

A question...what sort of battery are you using?

Cheers, Greggo.
Gday greggo thankyou, its commonly called 'blue block' i found it on a thread here, i have only used the sounder once since installed and thaught the battery ran out after one hour, then upon packing up i noticed i didnt connect one of the wires in the terminal properly and it came out :oops: i believe people get about 3.5 to 4 hours out of them. At $35 odd if they last a few hours, dont take up heaps of room and are light im happy with it. This is the one i baught http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/351265279207?t ... 5865553022

Tim
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

As Eoin sez...you want to keep Li-ion batteries dry dry dry. You might think the compartment is waterproof but salt water has a way of insinuating itself into every nook and cranny and seems to breed condensation too.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
wokka1
Yak Master

Post by wokka1 »

Tim399 wrote:
i believe people get about 3.5 to 4 hours out of them.
Properly charged (they take a long time) you should get at least double that. Mine ran a Garmin 300c for 12 + hours.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Tim399
Lord of the fish

Post by Tim399 »

wokka1 wrote:
Tim399 wrote:
i believe people get about 3.5 to 4 hours out of them.
Properly charged (they take a long time) you should get at least double that. Mine ran a Garmin 300c for 12 + hours.
Thanks Warren, in that case i am glad to be wrong :) was the full charge time around the 18hr mark?

Tim
wokka1
Yak Master

Post by wokka1 »

Yeah, that's not unusual. The charger balances the cells. I can't remember the LED sequence on the charging pack but the lights change when it's done. The toggle switch on top of the battery needs to be switched on to charge too. You prob already figured that out.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Tim399
Lord of the fish

Post by Tim399 »

No i hadnt but im glad you told me haha sounds like $30 well spent though