Some Melbourne shore dives

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

Some Melbourne shore dives

Post by SurfanFish »

A ripper night for it. With the hot night, like Burke Street both above and below the water but good to help a mate confront a demon and get a dive in.
night dive comp.jpg
rye 0674.jpg
rye 1264.jpg
Last edited by SurfanFish on 21 Aug 2015, 07:27, edited 2 times in total.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: Dived Rye Pier Saturday night

Post by choppers »

Love the calamari pic. Thanks :thumbsup:
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Awesome pictures rob, and good on ya for helping a mate out
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

We must have just missed each other mate as I was getting out just as the sun was setting. Great pics mate there was so much fish life about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1PKYPoGvEM
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
joffarob
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14 Dune

Post by joffarob »

Great shots Rob :up:
Enjoyed the video Merv :up:
Thanks for sharing guys
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by SurfanFish »

@choppers / tim399 / joffa - thanks for your comments.
yakhangger wrote:We must have just missed each other mate as I was getting out just as the sun was setting. Great pics mate there was so much fish life about

I saw about 3 divers (maybe there were others) coming out of the water on the Rosebud side just before dusk. Two together and one a fair way behind. We went in around 9.

I'll have a look at your video tonight. I tried out a new video light (Knog Qudos) purpose built for the GoPro and similar cameras, as well as a DIY tray for stability. Really nice light and priced a lot lower than 'real' underwater video lights. Won't have time to put video together for a while but will post or ping you a link if you are interested. Only needed to run it at 200l to get a good result and surprisingly little backscatter.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
yakhangger
Lord of the fish

Post by yakhangger »

SurfanFish wrote:@choppers / tim399 / joffa - thanks for your comments.
yakhangger wrote:We must have just missed each other mate as I was getting out just as the sun was setting. Great pics mate there was so much fish life about

I saw about 3 divers (maybe there were others) coming out of the water on the Rosebud side just before dusk. Two together and one a fair way behind. We went in around 9.

I'll have a look at your video tonight. I tried out a new video light (Knog Qudos) purpose built for the GoPro and similar cameras, as well as a DIY tray for stability. Really nice light and priced a lot lower than 'real' underwater video lights. Won't have time to put video together for a while but will post or ping you a link if you are interested. Only needed to run it at 200l to get a good result and surprisingly little backscatter.
That was probly us....yeah post it up here when the video's done I know a few on here enjoy watching diving video's :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Cheers Merv.
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by SurfanFish »

The variety of fish we saw was a bit down on what was on your video. Maybe scared off by the lights. The colours are a lot more vibrant under light though. When I get in the zone, I'll bolt a couple of minutes together to show what a difference an hour makes.
yakhangger
Lord of the fish

Post by yakhangger »

Look forward to it mate. it can be a bit hit and miss at Rye..we were there a couple of weeks ago with next to no fish and yet a week before that it was like it was on the weekend , fish everywhere...I guess a lot would have gone to bed by the time you got there to. I did my night course ay Rye and loved it not many fish about but what was there was different we saw a few occy's out and about as well. Can't wait to do my next night dive !!
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by SurfanFish »

There were 2 other groups that went ahead of us. A small group on their training dive and another large group who looked to be a guided tour. The second group crashed through us and I lost my buddy for a while, but no drama, we dived to the plan and hooked up again.

I always found diving at night fairly special, now with cameras affordable will do more. Probably doing another towards the end of March with a guy who couldn't make it the other night. You'd be welcome to come along.